Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Photo of the Month (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/)
-   -   ~Photos of Weeds, Grasses, Flowers~ (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/578-photos-weeds-grasses-flowers.html)

Sage 01-13-2009 01:59 PM

~Photos of Weeds, Grasses, Flowers~

~Post your pix of interesting weeds, grasses and flowers here.

When viewing pix, you can enlarge them by at least three times by clicking

Sage 01-13-2009 02:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some of my favorite shots~~~

The first is Chicory, but please feel free to ID any of my photo subjects, here or on other threads. You'd never know that as a child I had to learn the Latin names for everything. That was then; this is now. :rolleyes: Now I do photography for photography's sake, and my pleasure. I leave the scientific knowledge to others. ;)

biigblueyes 01-13-2009 02:23 PM

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Sage 01-13-2009 02:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
~And a few more...

Dave Stiles 01-13-2009 03:05 PM

Teton Wildflowers

5 Attachment(s)
Wild Blue Flax
Duncecap Larkspur
Showy Fleabane
Gaillardia a.k.a "Blanket Flower"
Sticky Purple Geranium

doccat5 01-14-2009 09:18 PM

Sigh......y'all are giving me the fever!!

Leslie 01-15-2009 10:21 PM

Wow! Gorgeous pics!

What is Sage's pic #2, the berry branch over water? I want some!!

MaggyNoLia 01-16-2009 04:07 PM

Awesome shots. Even with cameras one can't forget to stop and smell the flowers....and snap some shots too.

Sage 01-16-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 5221)
Wow! Gorgeous pics!

What is Sage's pic #2, the berry branch over water? I want some!!

I don't know what it is but it's frequently seen around here (Buffalo). I loved the way it looked with the water as the background. Really isolates the branch. ;)

Im4dabirds 02-09-2009 09:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I love shots like these. Most people don't even give them a thought and they're beautiful! Even the dreaded kudzu (photo 2)!

TheLorax 02-15-2009 10:17 AM

Many of the ickiest and nastiest are very beautiful. Neat thread to start.

Im4dabirds 03-24-2009 10:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few wildflowers. I shot the first two over the weekend. The last one is from last year I think.

biigblueyes 03-24-2009 08:35 PM

those are cute little fellas.

Sage 03-27-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Im4dabirds (Post 13374)
Here are a few wildflowers. I shot the first two over the weekend. The last one is from last year I think.

These are so beautiful! Very nice photography too! :)

Sage 03-27-2009 08:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think weeds are especially beautiful! :) I don't know what this is but after so much photography documenting raptors lately, it was a treat to find this lovely specimen standing by the side of a dirt road, like a jewel!

TheLorax 03-29-2009 08:52 AM

Sage, I think you really found a jewell. That looks like Chelone. Might not be Chelone glabra but looks an awful lot like a Chelone. I'm under a foot of snow or else I would go outside and try to find some for a picture to help you compare.

Sage 03-29-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLorax (Post 13928)
Sage, I think you really found a jewell. That looks like Chelone. Might not be Chelone glabra but looks an awful lot like a Chelone. I'm under a foot of snow or else I would go outside and try to find some for a picture to help you compare.

I think you're right, Lorax, I googled Chelone images and from what I see, they look similar, except my pix are much better! :D

TheLorax 03-29-2009 01:22 PM

I am really liking it inside where it is warm. Just so you know I went out there in my bathrobe this morning to dig around to see if I could find a sprig of seeds and it was very cold. I had my camera with me. My heart was in the right place. Camera lens steamed up and I ended up with a photo I could title chelone in fog. What photos did you find online? I looked and didn't find any other than yours which are always a cut above.

Equilibrium 03-30-2009 12:06 PM

Chelone glabra

Sage 03-30-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLorax (Post 13969)
I am really liking it inside where it is warm. Just so you know I went out there in my bathrobe this morning to dig around to see if I could find a sprig of seeds and it was very cold. I had my camera with me. My heart was in the right place. Camera lens steamed up and I ended up with a photo I could title chelone in fog. What photos did you find online? I looked and didn't find any other than yours which are always a cut above.

Oh! Thank you Lorax! Don't know where you are but it's in the 30s here today and was actually snowing. Disgusting!

Anyway, I just Googled chelone/images and decided you were right! :)

Equilibrium, thanks for the further ID too. I think it is gorgeous!

biigblueyes 03-30-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLorax (Post 13969)
Camera lens steamed up and I ended up with a photo I could title chelone in fog.

Goody - you're still in time to enter it in the Photo of the Month contest. :D

By the way, what prize are you Takers Of Great Pictures going for this time?

Sage 03-30-2009 06:05 PM

I want a spotting scope! Saving my good pix for the month a Leica spotting is the prize!

TheLorax 03-30-2009 10:33 PM

I know what the prize is for this month. It was a roll over from last month. I already had a copy of Doug Tallamy's book 'Bringing Nature Home" so I took a pass when I won last month. This month's lucky winner gets his book. Who ever gets his book will be in love with it. I think next month we get to go for books and videos donated by The National Wildlife Federation. Sorry Sage- no spotting scope for us this month. Think I could get better photos of chelone in fog with a spotting scope?

Sage 03-30-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLorax (Post 14224)
I know what the prize is for this month. It was a roll over from last month. I already had a copy of Doug Tallamy's book 'Bringing Nature Home" so I took a pass when I won last month. This month's lucky winner gets his book. Who ever gets his book will be in love with it. I think next month we get to go for books and videos donated by The National Wildlife Federation. Sorry Sage- no spotting scope for us this month. Think I could get better photos of chelone in fog with a spotting scope?

:rolleyes: Doubt it! Try your newly found macro setting on the chelone! Are your seed pods pretty too?

TheLorax 03-30-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

:rolleyes: Doubt it! Try your newly found macro setting on the chelone!
Getting me back for making you work to get the id on that plant are you?

The seed pods were cut down the week before to allow re-growth of the plant. I like the looks of the stems and pods in winter but don't like to leave them up for when the plants start active growth. There were a few stems with seed pods on the ground around the base of the plant from when I trimmed it back. That's what I was out there trying to find for you. We haven't had enough snow melt for me to see what condition they are in to go for a photo. I'll try again in a few days.

Sage 03-30-2009 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, and btw. a cheap trick for macros:
  1. Get cheap syrofoam bowls from somewhere - small & med are good
  2. Cut away the flat edge
  3. Put your camera lens against the bowl and draw a circle around it
  4. Cut away the circle leaving a round hole
  5. Place the bowl on your camera lens, open side pointing out
  6. Focus on subject of macro
  7. Use your flash
This Mayfly was on the outside of my car window in broad daylight. Every pic I took showed the houses in the background. Then I put my handy homemade camera accessory (!) on the camera and shot, and this is what I got!

Im4dabirds 03-31-2009 08:34 AM

What a great tip Sage. I'm gonna try it for sure.

Equilibrium 04-01-2009 12:33 AM

That has got to be one of the best camera tips I have stumbled on.

TheLorax 04-01-2009 10:09 PM

Sage- I am not understanding what exactly you did to get that photo. Do you create a hole and stick the camera through the hole to reduce glare?

Sage 04-01-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLorax (Post 14488)
Sage- I am not understanding what exactly you did to get that photo. Do you create a hole and stick the camera through the hole to reduce glare?

Yes. I put the camera right up against the car window with the dish attached, and focused. It softens the flash at close range and cuts glare off shiny surfaces. In the mayfly macro the effect was truly magical. :)

TheLorax 04-01-2009 10:31 PM

I understand. A big translucent cup. Brilliant Sage.

biigblueyes 04-02-2009 07:24 AM

That mayfly shot - wow!