Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Photo of the Month (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/)
-   -   ~Photos of Weeds, Grasses, Flowers~ (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/578-photos-weeds-grasses-flowers.html)

biigblueyes 03-30-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLorax (Post 13969)
Camera lens steamed up and I ended up with a photo I could title chelone in fog.

Goody - you're still in time to enter it in the Photo of the Month contest. :D

By the way, what prize are you Takers Of Great Pictures going for this time?

Sage 03-30-2009 06:05 PM

I want a spotting scope! Saving my good pix for the month a Leica spotting is the prize!

TheLorax 03-30-2009 10:33 PM

I know what the prize is for this month. It was a roll over from last month. I already had a copy of Doug Tallamy's book 'Bringing Nature Home" so I took a pass when I won last month. This month's lucky winner gets his book. Who ever gets his book will be in love with it. I think next month we get to go for books and videos donated by The National Wildlife Federation. Sorry Sage- no spotting scope for us this month. Think I could get better photos of chelone in fog with a spotting scope?

Sage 03-30-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLorax (Post 14224)
I know what the prize is for this month. It was a roll over from last month. I already had a copy of Doug Tallamy's book 'Bringing Nature Home" so I took a pass when I won last month. This month's lucky winner gets his book. Who ever gets his book will be in love with it. I think next month we get to go for books and videos donated by The National Wildlife Federation. Sorry Sage- no spotting scope for us this month. Think I could get better photos of chelone in fog with a spotting scope?

:rolleyes: Doubt it! Try your newly found macro setting on the chelone! Are your seed pods pretty too?

TheLorax 03-30-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

:rolleyes: Doubt it! Try your newly found macro setting on the chelone!
Getting me back for making you work to get the id on that plant are you?

The seed pods were cut down the week before to allow re-growth of the plant. I like the looks of the stems and pods in winter but don't like to leave them up for when the plants start active growth. There were a few stems with seed pods on the ground around the base of the plant from when I trimmed it back. That's what I was out there trying to find for you. We haven't had enough snow melt for me to see what condition they are in to go for a photo. I'll try again in a few days.

Sage 03-30-2009 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, and btw. a cheap trick for macros:
  1. Get cheap syrofoam bowls from somewhere - small & med are good
  2. Cut away the flat edge
  3. Put your camera lens against the bowl and draw a circle around it
  4. Cut away the circle leaving a round hole
  5. Place the bowl on your camera lens, open side pointing out
  6. Focus on subject of macro
  7. Use your flash
This Mayfly was on the outside of my car window in broad daylight. Every pic I took showed the houses in the background. Then I put my handy homemade camera accessory (!) on the camera and shot, and this is what I got!

Im4dabirds 03-31-2009 08:34 AM

What a great tip Sage. I'm gonna try it for sure.

Equilibrium 04-01-2009 12:33 AM

That has got to be one of the best camera tips I have stumbled on.

TheLorax 04-01-2009 10:09 PM

Sage- I am not understanding what exactly you did to get that photo. Do you create a hole and stick the camera through the hole to reduce glare?

Sage 04-01-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLorax (Post 14488)
Sage- I am not understanding what exactly you did to get that photo. Do you create a hole and stick the camera through the hole to reduce glare?

Yes. I put the camera right up against the car window with the dish attached, and focused. It softens the flash at close range and cuts glare off shiny surfaces. In the mayfly macro the effect was truly magical. :)