Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
Naturalist/Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Now, it they would just make you the person who gets to pick the winner...
I'm game, then I could enter the contests instead of judging them...
Dave Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
Unicellular Fungi

(((((((gulp))))))))
Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
Naturalist/Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
(((((((gulp))))))))
You're safe - I prefer sharing my images and not entering contests. The last one I entered was for the Student Conservation Association. I placed second with this bison in the snow (see attached) and won a $300 camera. Of course it took $3000 worth of camera gear to get the image - let alone needing a new car for the winter drives to Yellowstone...
Attached Thumbnails
Some Photos For January-bison.jpg  
Dave Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 AM   #14
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
You're safe
Phew (wipes sweat from brow)

What does someone like you do with a $300 camera? Give it to one of your kids?

The Canon PowerShot I use is popular. Lots of people out there bought it. I think when we bought ours (S2 IS) we paid more than $300 for it. I picked it specifically because so many people were using it and figured my odds of being able to get help with it would be increased. It was supposed to be dummy proof and able to take good ourdoor group shots and close ups. Not dummy proof (still can't find the snow setting) but with it being a popular camera I was able to get somebody to show me how to get it into the macro mode. The camera does take good group shots and decent close ups which is what I wanted it for. Still working on show.

This is a photo I took of a plant to be able to help people know when to collect seed. It's representative of what the camera can do if one is paying attenting. I'm going to try to focus on being able to get a photo of this plant at this time of year with snow for this contest but so far I'm not having success off automatic, which I know is an issue for the other forum.

So there, my echinacea (not in contest) challenges your buffalo (not in contest). I know, I lose but I had fun losing! Your buffalo is so illustrative of the caliber of photos you take. Not a bum photo in the lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Some Photos For January-echinacea.jpg  
Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #15
The Bug Whisperer

It's not the camera itself so much, as the eye and mind behind it that makes for great photos. I've seen some very nice examples taken with a 'point and shoot,' as well as banal mediocrity with a Hasselblad...
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

Real quick here on the PS S2, http://dpinterface.com/reviews/canon-powershot-s2is/index.html and user manual http://www.retrevo.com/support/Canon-S2-IS-Digital-Cameras-manual/id/200dj083/t/2/
Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #17
Heron

I love winter oak tree pictures too. (I posted one in the December thread...)
How about pictures taken during my florida vacation in January last year?
Attached Thumbnails
Some Photos For January-osprey2dec2007.jpg   Some Photos For January-ospreydec2007.jpg  
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #18
Big Fat juicy WORM

Joe! Those are utterly stunning shots, buddy. Good job. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous of you guys......sigh I'm going to have to work on my "sneak up on em" technique I can see. LOL
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #19
Heron

For some reason, its much easier to sneak up on birds in Florida than birds in Illinois. I'm not the only birder who has made this same comment. I think Florida birds are accustomed to people stalking them. ;-)

(A big zoom lens helps too!)

I wanted to post my pics of the wood storks taken on that same trip, but they are on my other computer... (I'm at work)
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #20
Unicellular Fungi

You've got wood storks? There goes my prize again (sob).

Tags
january, photos