Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #41
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
Looks good to me. You're entitled! (Sorry. Feeling silly tonight. )

~smile~ Silly. Can. Be. Fun!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
dapjwy Nice bramble laden fence.............
Wow, thanks havalotta. I didn't expect all the compliments--I almost didn't post it!

...Oh, BTW no brambles (although covered in snow it does look like them). The previous owner had planted bittersweet there. I *think* it is the native one based on the leaves, but am waiting for them to bloom and go to seed to make positive ID. The first year there was nothing, second spring here they had buds but we had a late frost/freeze and they didn't make it. So, if they bloom this year, I should know for sure. ...I'd rather plant it in my hedgerow than on the fence (if it is the native one, if not it comes out).
Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
I like that one much, dapjwy. You have a good eye.
Thank you so much, Bulucanagria (Gee! I feel like I'm swearing! )

I may have a good eye, but I sure wish I had a good camera!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I see London I see France... I see dapjwy's bluebird box!!! Love it! The fence and shadows are greeeeeeeat! Here's two photos of the same Black-Crowned Night Heron, Nycticorax nycticorax.jpg. This bird was a battle ax. I was maybe only 30' away from him and he never budged. The others took off.
You scared me there for a second, Lib--I was trying to figure out how you got a glimpse of my underpants!

Thank you. Yup, glad you noticed the bluebird box. That is one of 3 that I have up. I want to put up some kind of baffle but haven't figured it out yet. I'd better get on with it, I've seen a male bluebird checking out the boxes twice this month!

In the past, I've had a pair of chickadees (in a different box), some tree swallows, and the bluebirds....and, wrens (in a different box)....not Carolina unfortunately, so I'm a bit concerned about the house wrens coming back (last year they laid eggs but they never hatched--abandoned nest or predator got them?

--Anyway, your photos are beautiful! As was said before, crystal clear. I love the background and he is so cute!

I just *love* herons--even the short stubby kind.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #45
Pope

I liked your fence photo very much, too, dap-ja-wa. I could imagine it in a gallery; it is very good.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
I liked your fence photo very much, too, dap-ja-wa. I could imagine it in a gallery; it is very good.
Hedgerowe,

Thank you for such high praise!

The quality of the digital pics that I've been taking is not what I'd like it to be. Being that these are photo *contests* I try to just share my pics... there are so many professional looking photos here on Wildlife Gardeners, I kind of feel like the people they put on American Idol 'for laughs'.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #47

Personally, I like the mourning dove shot better.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #48
Official Plant Nerd

Males in underwear dash around my house all the time and everywhere I go outside my house... I see pants sagging down to hips and underwear is sticking out. I don't know who came up with this underwear hanging out from everywhere fad but... it's flat out goofy. I've been desensitized to seeing men's underwear for decades but a good bluebird nest box... now that excites me and I spotted yours!!! I'm totally happy with my heron photos. I checked and those came from my working camera.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #49
Heron

According to Wikipedia (and I've also read/heard this elsewhere): "The origins of sagging (pants) come from the United States prison system due to two primary factors. First, uniforms issued to prisoners are usually a few sizes too large. Secondly, belts are prohibited to avoid suicide by hanging oneself, or to avoid being used as a weapon in fights."

Hip-hop artists popularized this look and it's spread through the whole world now. It's apparently cool (among young males anyway) to try to look like you're a criminal.

John
Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #50
Fox

And then there are those of us whose bellies are larger than their butts, and whose belts, therefor, are largely ornamental. Refusal to acknowledge this fact and resort to suspenders results in frequent instances of "hitching up the pants" and the ocassional accidental exposure of too much, uh, cleavage.

Or so I've heard.
Bulucanagria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, contest, enter photography contest, entries, february, month, natural areas, photo, photo contest, photo of the month, photography contest, photos, post, wildlife photo, wildlife photo contest, wildlife photography contest, wildlife pictures