Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Salamander

Those menus are daunting, but not having to have the film processed is absolutely the best thing since sliced bread! I've got 3 rolls of film that I've had for heaven knows how long. They were in an old camera case, a Minolta that I haven't used in years. They probably wouldn't even come out it's been so long. I just forgot they were in there. On the other hand, if they did come out it would be a nice surprise memory of something we've done in the past! LOL I keep saying I'm gonna take them and see if they come out.
Im4dabirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stiles View Post
[/list] FYI - Camera info only comes up if you download from the camera, so if you find someone whose images you like, you may need to contact them to ask what camera they use...

I use a Canon 20D, but the info does not show up with my images as I use a card reader to download images instead of plugging the camera into my computer.

Dave
Dave, I use a card reader too but my info comes up...

btw folks, if you click on the camera on Flickr, you'll get info about it and more pix taken by that camera.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
Heron

Now I use a Canon 40D. But I was never much of a film camera person. I would buy the disposal 35 mm for vacations and such but that was about it. I really had fun with a panaromic disposal camera one year. Then my hubs bought me a digital camera as a Christmas gift back in 1998, an early Nikon coolpix. It had a great macro lens and I was hooked. I took lots of pictures of flowers and mushrooms. I didn't have to develop every picture to look at them. That is when I really started taking more and more pictures.

So as I became more interested, I wanted to learn more, so I took a photography class at the local community college. AS I started taking more and more pictures, I wanted to learn photoshop. So I took a photoshop class. So I do have photoshop on PC. My next computer is going to be a mac, though. I've run the Adobe software on both macs and pc's, and I like them on the mac better... but its not that different.

It was when I trying to take pictures of birds, that I finally decided that I should buy an SLR... which I bought last year. So I am still learning every day.

So its been a slow progression for me. I still don't consider myself a photographer. I just like to take pictures of flowers, birds etc. I don't take alot of portraits of people.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
WG Writer

i still have a Sony Mauvica.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #15
Puff the Magic Dragon

I started with a Olympus Ultrazoom 750 (10 optical). The ultrazooms are GREAT. All companies make them, and if you want to stay casual with it, they will do you for life. I have just decided to upgrade within the past couple of months to a Canon Rebel XSI. I love it, but it will be a while before I am good with it. To me, that is the difference, how much work do you want to put into it?
old34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #16
Naturalist/Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Dave, I use a card reader too but my info comes up...
Boy do I feel stupid ... I had my settings on Flickr set to hide the Exif data.
Dave Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stiles View Post
Boy do I feel stupid ... I had my settings on Flickr set to hide the Exif data.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #18
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im4dabirds View Post
I've got 3 rolls of film that I've had for heaven knows how long. They were in an old camera case, a Minolta that I haven't used in years. They probably wouldn't even come out it's been so long. I just forgot they were in there. On the other hand, if they did come out it would be a nice surprise memory of something we've done in the past! LOL I keep saying I'm gonna take them and see if they come out.
Back in the early 1970s, my father was cleaning up the basement in our farmhouse after a flood, and found an old Kodak folding camera hidden away in a safe spot. It still had film in it, so he took it to a local processor for development. The photos turned out to be color transparencies taken on my fourth birthday in 1946! Talk about a time capsule...http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...ons/icon10.gif

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #19
WG Ways and Means

I use Olympus cameras. I find that they (digital) take superb photos out of doors. My problem is indoor photos especially under florescent lights. I find that flash photos very rarely come out well.

I did buy a Cannon a couple of years ago but gave it to my wife because I could never get the hang of it. The problem was the menu settings and such, I'm so used to the Olympus that I was having problems with the Cannon.

This is the camera I have been using for a couple years. this model is very cheap now

"Olympus SP-550UZ 7.1MP Digital Camera with Dual Image Stabilized 18x Optical Zoom

Far and wide, the world's most powerful ultra zoom. Capture the moment, and capture the action, with the world's most powerful ultra zoom - the 7.1 megapixel SP-550 UZ. Its new 18x wide-angle super-telephoto zoom lens gets you closer to your subject than any other compact digital camera on the market. Dual Image Stabilization eliminates blur. And with high-speed sequential shooting and new Pre-Capture technology, you'll capture anything that moves. Even shoot in low light without a flash, thanks to Bright Capture Technology, and it's easy to preview, shoot and share with the large 2.5" high-resolution LCD "

F
Green Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #20
Fox

I also have have an Olympus camera and am very pleased with the quality of the images. I've got the C-5500 Zoom (sometimes called Sport Zoom). One feature that I really like is a selection on the dial called "My". It allows up to 4 preset settings for focus, metering, etc. One setting that I've found very useful for closeups of insects and flowers is Spot Focus with Spot Metering. It's nice to be able to go to this preset quickly whenever I need to take this kind of picture. I don't have to take the time to go through all the settings individually.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cameras, questions