Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #71
Official Plant Nerd

Whatcha growing there? I like the way you separated the seedlings.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #72
Grub

dragonfly01 About Dodging 7-Foot Icicles

BBE, "generally", big icicles are so well attached to the building they don't come loose, but rather melt away come spring. Generally. Unless they are hanging from eaves, in which case the wise break them off long before they get big enough to damage people, pets, & plantings (about 12" icicles will..) or better yet, install ice dam preventers at the eave edges. They are metal pieces that can be retro-fitted to the roof edges. Having a leg injury that makes me about as agile as a fence post some days, I almost never roof any more, but I have 15 feet up to the eaves & couldn't afford to pay anyone to get up there & install the edging so of course this stubborn Indn female did it herself. Slooowly; but it beats having to worry about getting clunked or stabbed with an icicle.. And wouldn't you know - the cavalry always arriving late - right after I got off the ladder after installing the last piece, an agile male friend with good construction knowledge & skills came by & said, "Why didn't you ask me to do it? You shouldn't be climbing ladders any more with your leg.." eyes Well, hey, maybe not, but you never know what you can (still) do until you try..
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #73
Carbon

i have tomatoes, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflowers, onions, beetroot, chillis, seedlining in those trays
cosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #74
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahinh Winh View Post
an agile male friend with good construction knowledge & skills came by & said, "Why didn't you ask me to do it? You shouldn't be climbing ladders any more with your leg.."
I hope you didn't waste any time mentioning the next big project he could help you with. . . .
Old 12-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #75
Unicellular Fungi

Default Having fun with my new camera

We haven't had any hard freezes yet this year, but there was light frost on the ground this morning. There was a light fog blowing down the bayou. The first two pictures were taken this morning. The third one was taken a couple of weeks ago. There are two large pecan trees in my backyard. The reddish tree in the background on the right is a bald cypress tree which is on the bank of a small bayou.
Attached Thumbnails
December 2009 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-cimg0800.jpg   December 2009 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-cimg0813.jpg   December 2009 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-cimg0267.jpg  
NawMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 AM   #76
Official Plant Nerd

Is that a vulture feeding platform you've got there with a chicken on it? If it is... I think... I know... I'm going to get the biggest kick out of you being here. I thought I was the only one that put out special treats for my vultures. Mostly I bring road kill home to get it off the roads so they don't get cracked by cars when they're feeding but I've been known to put up whole turkeys for them when I haven't spotted any good road kill to put up. Turkey sells for cheap in the stores. It's even cheaper around Thanksgiving but by then my vultures have left the area so I can't get the best prices.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:28 AM   #77
Fox

Several weeks ago while I was collecting seed in the Francis Marion National Forest a pair of Bald Eagles came swooping by me and proceeded to wind in and out of the trees. I didn't think too much then about where they might have come from. Several times now as I've driven by this one section of road about a mile from where I saw the pair of eagles I have caught a glimpse of a large bird. I've stopped and tried to locate it but had no luck until yesterday. I am fairly sure this is what I have caught glimpses of through the trees. I'm also wondering if that pair of eagles I saw a couple of weeks ago might be Mom and Dad to this juvenile Bald Eagle pictured below.
Attached Thumbnails
December 2009 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-12-28-2009-63-_edited.jpg   December 2009 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-12-28-2009-37-_edited.jpg  
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #78
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Is that a vulture feeding platform you've got there with a chicken on it? If it is... I think... I know... I'm going to get the biggest kick out of you being here. I thought I was the only one that put out special treats for my vultures. Mostly I bring road kill home to get it off the roads so they don't get cracked by cars when they're feeding but I've been known to put up whole turkeys for them when I haven't spotted any good road kill to put up. Turkey sells for cheap in the stores. It's even cheaper around Thanksgiving but by then my vultures have left the area so I can't get the best prices.
No, I have too many of my own animals (chickens, cats) to want to attract vultures or hawks, but they come around anyway. Fortunately, it's been years since a hawk has gotten one of my chickens. Around here, when you hang a chicken out, it's to catch an alligator - during the hunting season, of course. The vulture picture in the bird thread was just taken from my car about a mile away from my house. The pole in this picture was to bring power to a boat that we had docked there many years ago. There is an old light fixture on the top. That picture was taken from my back porch. I'm pretty sure that you'll find some other traits I have that you'll like, though!
NawMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #79
Official Plant Nerd

Here's a winter wonderland photo of the Blue Heron Rookery for the contest. I spent a few hours walking around the rookery on Monday. There's a muskrat lodge over to the right complete with coyote tracks to it. NawMat> I feel stupid... that's an old light fixture up there??? It looked like an uncooked turkey propped up there... I was so sure it looked like big old nekkid poultry or I would have never opened my big mouth. Woe is me... I'm STILL alone in the world putting out treats for vultures. Pssst.... vultures aren't interested in live anything unless the treat is prime for the picking as in on its last leg or totally defenseless.
Attached Thumbnails
December 2009 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-coyote-tracks-muskrat-lodge.jpg  
Old 12-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #80
Pope

How wonderful to see the rookery in winter. It looks beautiful. Did it look as though a scuffle had broken out at the muskrat lodge?
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2009, contest, december, entries, month, photo, post