Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 11:17 PM   #41
Unicellular Fungi

Maybe from a composition standpoint they are so so to midland. I did try to move around to get a good angle like I have seen real photographers do but they aren't in focus and there are some really weird things going on in my photos. Look at #1 and #4. What caused those really white blotches? Those weren't there when I took the photos. At least I don't think they were.

I have big problems taking photos with snow in them or sand for that matter. It's as if the internal meter that I have on automatic goes haywire when I point and shoot.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:31 AM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
btw, I cannot even view albums.
Checked the All Albums link and it seems to be working. Any member can create albums and add photos to them. There are currently only four albums created by two members. Evidently this feature has not been discovered by others. The first album was created by an individual working on a handout and it does in fact require a permission. I do not know why it requires a permission however it does. The other three albums can be viewed by anyone who is registered and logged on. Would you try again?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #43
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Maybe from a composition standpoint they are so so to midland. I did try to move around to get a good angle like I have seen real photographers do but they aren't in focus and there are some really weird things going on in my photos. Look at #1 and #4. What caused those really white blotches? Those weren't there when I took the photos. At least I don't think they were.

I have big problems taking photos with snow in them or sand for that matter. It's as if the internal meter that I have on automatic goes haywire when I point and shoot.
I'm not sure what the issue is with those whiter areas. What camera do you use?

I played with a couple of your pix in Picasa. Photoshop has more editing power, but just for quick edits, this shows the possibilities.

Ackkkkk! I just tried to upload them but apparently there is a limit which I have already reached! :eek: I guess that means I can never upload another pic. If you send me your email I'll send them to you if you'd like.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Weeder View Post
Checked the All Albums link and it seems to be working. Any member can create albums and add photos to them. There are currently only four albums created by two members. Evidently this feature has not been discovered by others. The first album was created by an individual working on a handout and it does in fact require a permission. I do not know why it requires a permission however it does. The other three albums can be viewed by anyone who is registered and logged on. Would you try again?
:eek: Now I cannot find the albums either!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #45

Lorax, I see the camera is a Canon Power Shot S2 IS. Maybe the contrast between the dark subject and the reflection of the snow.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Ackkkkk! I just tried to upload them but apparently there is a limit which I have already reached! :eek: I guess that means I can never upload another pic. If you send me your email I'll send them to you if you'd like.
I don't believe we have a limit. Will check into this.

Quote:
:eek: Now I cannot find the albums either!
You can access the albums created by members from the navigational bar. The nav bar is toward the top just above the post reply button. On this page you will see Home, Forum, Control Panel, then All Albums. The font is white on medium green.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #47

Quote:
I don't believe we have a limit. Will check into this.

You can access the albums created by members from the navigational bar.
The message came up when I tried to upload lorax's edited pix, saying I had reached the max. There is a temperature-like bar which shows red. :mad:

Thanks, and I'll go check the albums now!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #48
Administrator

I reported it. We've added an incredible number of features to the forums and sometimes when a feature is enhanced, it's unwittingly at the expense of another.

Wildlife Gardeners has only been live for two weeks and we have an incredible number of burps and hiccups on our hands. We are catching them thanks to people like you.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #49

Quote:
I reported it. We've added an incredible number of features to the forums and sometimes when a feature is enhanced, it's unwittingly at the expense of another.

Wildlife Gardeners has only been live for two weeks and we have an incredible number of burps and hiccups on our hands. We are catching them thanks to people like you.
Thanks, Fearless! If possible, please let me know when the max limit has been changed or lifted. I would love to post photos wherever appropriate because, that's what I do. As it stands now, I would apparently have to delete my posts with pix from this forum in order to post any new pix.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #50
Carbon

Default Snow Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post

I do not see the white blotches. About problems with taking photos of white snow and sand, you do not want your camera set to automatic exposure. The light meter "sees" a scene that is too white and tries to darken it. You need to set the exposure manually, opening the lens opening by one or two stops or slow the shutter speed down by one or two settings. It is all about a thing called 18% gray. Camera meters are set to deliver a scene as having 18% gray on a black and white scale.

The other problem you had with your photos is that they were taken on a cloudy day. White snow reflects the sky, hence gray snow. If you took the photos on a sunny day but the snow is in shadow, the snow appears somewhat blue.

Take a look at my two photos that I posted earlier. I have an adjustable camera and I set my exposure with a 18% gray card (available at better camera shops) and then took the photos. You can achieve similar results by using a newspaper with only black and white text.
Closed Thread

Tags
december, photos