Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #251
Official Plant Nerd

Why.... you have options envy. Just funnin with ya. I have no clue why I ended up with more than you. I don't use any of them so I'd gladly give em all to ya if I could. Ya... Google's gonna control the world 1 of these days and everybody seems to think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. Whatever. Did you catch Google's new 1 size fits all privacy policy>>>>? OMG is about all I can say. No wonder why they're for that SOPA and PIPA and that ACTA. I was comparing the search results from my friend's Chrome toolbar on her laptop to what was showing on my laptop just using regular ole yahoo and our eyeballs about fell out of our heads on like little springs. There's something going on with the way they display.... er uh... don't display search results. She called it the world according to google or something like that. She made the IT guy get rid of her toolbar since my search results were better. She's toolbarless now and lovin' it.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #252
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG Admin View Post
Havalotta- What you saw was Picasa building its database. Picasa is an image handler.
I'm assuming by that Picassa just scanned the photos NOT reproduced them, correct?
Quote:
As such it stores locations of original images. Originals should be safe.
Not necessarily...
Quote:
The rebuilding process won't affect your actual photos, but rather rebuilds the database that stores the information about your photos. However, if Picasa closes unexpectedly during the scan to recreate your photos database, your previous album organizations may be affected. We recommend that you back up your photos, edits, and album organization to CD/DVD or an external drive before starting the rebuilding process.
Rebuilding database - Picasa and Picasa Web Albums Help

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #253
Official Plant Nerd

I'm pretty sure I'm getting what he's saying. You were a new install so it had to go and gather up all the locations of your photos so you could use their editing software without dragging and dropping. It wasn't scanning them and it wasn't copying them.... just adding the locations of them to their program so you could get access to them faster to edit if you wanted. I used their program for fixing red eye in some photos and that's when I figured out the changes wouldn't apply to the original.... the original gets left alone... it only gets pulled up to use as a source. I kept going back to the original and none of my changes were taking. Duh... they were taking.... they just weren't altering the original. If you want to save any changes.... you have to save em from Picasa otherwise your work goes **poof**. That Picasa is like the PhotoFiltre I use for resizing photos. It never touches the original.... it only sorta borrows the original for a while while we do whatever we want to do to it. Check the used space on your hard drive and compare it to the used space you had before you installed it.... you won't find a big difference. That Picasa wasn't copying them or you'd be in major league grid lock like you were before when your old hard drive got filled up.
--
What you're linking to is somebody else's problem. What's going on there is totally different than what's going on with you or what's going on with sage. Admin was using the word repopulate when talking to her about her problem and using the word build when talking to you about your new install. You're a build not a rebuild. There's nothing wrong with your computer making that program unuseable.... other than you not knowing how to use it or how to tweak the settings. All you did was install a new program. That other site is dealing with a rebuild from a corruption or maybe a hardware failure or something where they're trying to uninstall then reinstall then rebuild so they can see if they can get Picasa up and running again for the guy. Could have been a virus that was removed that crashed that guy's Picasa too... who knows what forced him to have to uninstall and reinstall. They didn't say. The problem with program crashes is there's oddles of reasons why it could have happened and with all the different operating systems and all the different software loaded on everyone's computers.... it can get kinda tricky figuring out what's at the root of the problem unless you're sitting right in front of his computer yourself and know what you're doing. That's why some people just try to deal with the symptoms so they can get their software up and running again without taking their computer in for diagnostics. Trying to fix a problem without knowing what caused the problem can for sure cause the program to crash again and for sure could cause a domino effect toppling other software that could be dependent on the software someone wants to use. Problem is.... some folk... like me sometimes.... try to fix things themselves when we're already in over our heads which gets us in even deeper do do so ya.... screw around with a computer too much when we're outa our league and we sure could end up looking at the blue screen of death and lose data especially if we're trying to reinstall software on a computer that's got a hard drive that's ready to blow or a trojan rewriting itself hiding out somewhere. I'm thinking you're ok.... it's just that with all the different computer configurations out there.... nobody can ever say anyone's data is safe. You're backed up so.... you're probably 1 of the folk who's safe if your computer bites the dust.
--
sage> I just realized my PhotoFiltre wasn't showing up in the Picasa drop down menu so that's 3 that aren't showing up since I updated the software not 2. I'm not gonna bother fiddling with the Picasa. I use Kodak for cropping and PhotoFiltre for resizing anyway.Those are drop and drag. The convenience of having a drop down like what Picasa has would be nice in either my Kodak or PhotoFiltre.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #254
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
It wasn't scanning them and it wasn't copying them.... Just adding the locations. Check the used space on your hard drive.
Thank you to all who helped put my mind at ease.
I forget how to check the used space but as long as you're saying it was only learning where the photos were, I'm good.
I was just worried I might have set myself up for another grid lock by filling up the hard drive. You KNOW how many photos I have stored!

I know what you mean when you say...... When we try to fix things ourselves when we're already in over our heads which gets us in even deeper do do.
That was the very reason I was asking what would happen to the photos if I did Uninstall "picassa" .
It took guts monkeying around in the system trying to figure out how to change the default back to Paint without knowing what it was or did without any advice....
Winging it on my own, grinding my teeth, wondering what will change or go into never never land with every click I did was not fun.

You say Picasa is like the PhotoFiltre you use for resizing photos.
Was that the one you set on my desktop but lost when the computer crashed? That may come in handy

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooked, cropped, hdr, photos, post