Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #221
Unicellular Fungi

Often times I have learned when installing freeware that it is best to select custom install in place of automatic when provided with the option to do so.

It can be extremely frustrating when a program we depend upon is no longer our default. Do not panic. Do let Picasa continue. Once Picasa has fully completed installation, you will be able to change your default back to Paint.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #222
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Thanks Lorax for coming to my rescue. I think you could see how hurt and disabled I'm truly feeling at this moment....
Custom install, automatic install, I get lost so easily because I do not understand ANY of the choices (computer lingo and abreviations) that it wants me to choose from in the first place.

How do I go about changing the default back??? (I don't even understand what THAT means)
Just hit un install picassa?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #223
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

NO! Wait a minute!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #224

Go to your "My Pictures" or "Pictures" from the start button. All your folders should be there, exactly as before. That's where they are on your hard drive.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #225

When in Pictues, I click to open a pic, it opens in Picasa, because that what I chose for the default program.

Let me know where you're at right now. I'll try to talk you down.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #226
Unicellular Fungi

Do not uninstall Picasa. All of your pictures truly are there on your hard drive as Sage noted.

Should you learn the installation of Picasa changed your defaults, these instructions may prove helpful-
How do I change the default picture viewer in Windows Vista?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Go to your "My Pictures" or "Pictures" from the start button. All your folders should be there, exactly as before. That's where they are on your hard drive.
Yes they are still where they were, only different... Much larger when I pull them up.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Do not uninstall Picasa. All of your pictures truly are there on your hard drive as Sage noted.

Should you learn the installation of Picasa changed your defaults, these instructions may prove helpful-
How do I change the default picture viewer in Windows Vista?
Thank you...I found an area marked default and toyed back and forth with things hoping I didn't make things worse....I GOT it! I'm SOOOO relieved. I'm able to use paint as it was and I even see a Picassa OPTION in the area as well. It appears I'll be able to adjust photos using either one...
That is if and when I feel brave enough to go in the ring for another round. ..... I'm such a chicken.

Sooooooooooooooo Can anyone answer me this? Did that picassa just duplicate 40 thousand photos sucking up a ton more of the computers space?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #229

That is totally weird...

Personally I like my pix to default to Picasa because it's so easy to organize them and do basic crops and edits. After a recent update though, right-clicking on a pic to "Open with" only offers Picasa. It used to show options for Photoshop too, and I haven't figured out how to change that.

And Picasa now longer gives me the easy upload to Picasa Web Albums or by blogs. Instead, the pix upload directly to Google+.

On a bright note though, there are two more "pages" of editing options which is good.

I hope you would take some time to get acquainted with it, use it, and see if it offers you enough benefits, before ripping it out of your computer.

And do contact me with any questions you may have and I'll try to help.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #230

Quote:
Personally I like my pix to default to Picasa because it's so easy to organize them and do basic crops and edits.
That's the same reason why I liked PAINT. I guess it all boils down to what one learns and is familiar with ....

Perhaps I can now help YOU regain your Photoshop!
~cooked or cropped photos - post here!-untitled.jpg
This Is what I did to return Paint to my option area.
Quote:
I hope you would take some time to get acquainted with it, use it, and see if it offers you enough benefits, before ripping it out of your computer.
Oh Most definitely! After all the stress I went through to see its benefits and options I will give it a try....But I'm still wondering if it chewed up a ton of space to get it???

I just noticed (and it was probably there all along ) I also have the options of using Microsoft office picture manager and something called picture viewer. I played in the Microsoft area this morning but did NOT find any thing new in that area but the option of viewing multiples.
The picture viewer did nothing but bring them in close... I saved picassa to play around in when I have more time.

Hmmm Now you have me wondering....What's photoshop have to offer that Picassa does not?
Anything worth exploring in there while I'm still feeling gutsy? First off, Is it free?
I'm assuming Picassa was correct???? I sure hope so. Hubby doesn't need any surprises. Picassa was free wasn't it?
I didn't see any dollar amounts anywhere but with sooooo much reading involved I skipped a bunch and just hit accept...

Tags
cooked, cropped, hdr, photos, post