Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #1
Fox

Default August Photos of the Month

I know that many members here enjoyed the photo of the month contest. I am one of those and while I don't visit here nearly as often as I did in the past the contest was one of my first stops once I got here. I really enjoyed looking at and reading about the various images that were shared.

Now when I come over here I miss visiting that thread. I miss the pictures and the associated stories. While I was not an active participant for quite some time now I still watched. I watched not so much to see who the winner was but to see what the pictures were and there were so many good ones.

So I ask...what did you love about the monthly threads?
If you, like me come to the same conclusion that it was the content that you enjoyed then perhaps a resurrection of the monthly thread without the contest would once again give a place for sharing those same monthly images and the wonderful stories that I feel so many of us enjoyed.

Please join me for at least this month and once again post your August images. The only requirement is that the image needs to be something you shot in August. August of this year, last year or even 20 years ago. We've got some cool natural events happening this month. Soon, the Perseids will race across the night sky. After that we have the solar eclipse and I can only imagine the images each of you might get with that and the stories you'll each have.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to each and every contribution.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
Fox

August is a time of afternoon thunderstorms here in South Carolina and thanks to the gift of a lightning trigger from the family I have been able to catch lightning during the day. I shot this image with the trigger and never would have captured it if I didn't have he trigger unless I got really lucky. The trigger senses the infrared light that precedes a strike and trigger my shutter at the exact instant the bolt is striking. So basically, I just compose and adjust my exposure and the trigger does the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
August Photos of the Month-img_0605-edit.jpg  
Old 08-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggyNoLia View Post
August is a time of afternoon thunderstorms here in South Carolina and thanks to the gift of a lightning trigger from the family I have been able to catch lightning during the day. I shot this image with the trigger and never would have captured it if I didn't have he trigger unless I got really lucky. The trigger senses the infrared light that precedes a strike and trigger my shutter at the exact instant the bolt is striking. So basically, I just compose and adjust my exposure and the trigger does the rest.
Beautiful, Maggy! I promise I will try to get out and take some August photos. I just use my phone camera, so nothing amazing, but it's still fun to share photos from all over and see how things are looking in other states as compared to here in MI.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
I promise I will try to get out and take some August photos. I just use my phone camera, so nothing amazing, but it's still fun to share photos from all over and see how things are looking in other states as compared to here in MI.
There is nothing wrong with phone photos! I've seen exceptional shots taken with nothing but a phone and I love seeing things from different perspectives and locations.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Awesome shot!

Glad to see you posting again.

I would think that with more people returning and actively posting, perhaps the photo contest could return.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
Fox

pawprint

I'm thrilled with the idea of sharing pixs here at WG, truly the main reason I have participated in the POM previously...to see what fun everyone else has to post. I'm sure I'll find something useful to post. Thanks maggienolia for the opportunity.

wildwatcher
Old 08-08-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
I'm thrilled with the idea of sharing pixs here at WG, truly the main reason I have participated in the POM previously...to see what fun everyone else has to post. I'm sure I'll find something useful to post. Thanks maggienolia for the opportunity.

wildwatcher
Nice to see members coming out of the woodwork.

(Not that you haven't been around, faithfully, all along, wildwatcher. )
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
Fox

Here's proof that even phone photos can be fun! And yes, both of my daughters are still active in wildlife rehab..
Attached Thumbnails
August Photos of the Month-20604243_10211985739670317_6832536243365507009_n.jpg  
Old 08-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #9
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Awesome shot!
Thank you! The lightning trigger really helps. I'm thrilled that I'm finally able to merge two loves together. A good storm and photography!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Glad to see you posting again.

I would think that with more people returning and actively posting, perhaps the photo contest could return.
It's good to be back and seeing familiar names!

I did love the contest but as I've stated I loved more the individual images that were shared each month. If a day comes and the contest were to return I would of course be cheering loudly. Until then I hope we can each contribute images and share in what made us return to those monthly contest threads.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #10
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post

wildwatcher
I'm glad I'm not the only one that realizes it is more than just the contest that is missed. I will look forward to your submissions!

Tags
august, month, photos