Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #31
Fox

Stormy weather shortened our view of the solar eclipse but I did manage to get a shot.
Attached Thumbnails
August Photos of the Month-_mg_9018.jpg  
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #32
WG Facebook Administrator

In New England, August is crabapple season (and regular apples too - but those more in September). I tried making a crabapple crisp this year. It was good! Tart but certainly sweet as well.
Attached Thumbnails
August Photos of the Month-crabapple-crisp.jpg  
Old 08-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #33
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Now your'e making me hungry! YUM!!!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #34
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
In New England, August is crabapple season (and regular apples too - but those more in September). I tried making a crabapple crisp this year. It was good! Tart but certainly sweet as well.
That does look good!
Old 08-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #35
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Been pulling at least that much out of my beds every other week ALL summer long! Gave it a way for the first two months, sold all summer long, donated two truck loads to various events when the gardens were peaking and no way no how could pot and sell that much and am now back to giving bags and bags of them away. Couple more rounds to go as I work each bed over one last time.

You'd think my yard would be empty picturing what I've passed out the door this year but actually it's the first time in the long run that I could actually shift things into place to where they can grow naturally to their fullest without my yearly chopping off edges to control their size. There will still be areas in which I will have to do that but it will be a LOT less maintenance for me in the future.
I understand, Hava! I have to do the same thing. I really do. My back yard is a jungle and I really need to get back there and reorganize and thin things out. Maybe this fall. I just don't work well in the HOT summer weather. Sounds like you are really getting a handle on things. Good for you!
Old 08-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #36
Hippie Gardener

Beautiful photos, Maggy and Wildwatcher! The crab apple crisp looks delicious, Amelanchier. Perfect with a scoop of ice cream .
Old 08-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #37
WG Facebook Administrator

Fall has come a couple weeks early to northern New England. Here you can see two of the several trees in the neighborhood that have just started to turn. Virginia creeper can be seen at wine-red peak here and there. Temperatures the last couple of mornings have been in the low 40s -- upper 40s is typical for summer, but not lower. Highs are still just getting into the lower 70s, though.

August Photos of the Month-fallstarts.jpg
Old 08-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #38
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Woe is me. I'm going to have to kill my virginia creeper that I so enjoyed over the years... It's growing up INSIDE our siding...Slight bulges will soon be large ones popping the siding off. One year it took out the hanging lights because it snuck up underneath them and as they grew and swelled Off went the light fixture.... Time to say good by to an ole friend. Twa's a place to nest, feed and rest.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #39
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
Fall has come a couple weeks early to northern New England. Here you can see two of the several trees in the neighborhood that have just started to turn. Virginia creeper can be seen at wine-red peak here and there. Temperatures the last couple of mornings have been in the low 40s -- upper 40s is typical for summer, but not lower. Highs are still just getting into the lower 70s, though.

Attachment 45168

Backpacking weather! I still have weeks to wait for any changes down this way.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:02 PM   #40
Hippie Gardener

Cooler that normal here in West MI as well. Still dry, though.

Tags
august, month, photos