Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #81
Unicellular Fungi

Default So Cal photos, April

I took the picture (060414_4410_cr) on April 14, 2006 while out looking for wildflowers for the Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden Wildflower Show. I was in the field (Santa Ana Mts.) with my boss. When we heard the rattle I instinctively jumped behind her - showing my true colors. After regaining my composure, I got some pictures, though we were on a slope below the rattlesnake and it was hard to get high enough, safely, to get a great shot.

The next picture (030417_1185_cr) taken on April 17, 2003, is a mallard swimming in the Arroyo Seco. This was once a magnificent waterway but is now one of the many concrete flood control channels that govern the hydrology of the Los Angeles basin. I use this image to convey the cost of lawn-dominated landscaping - excessive runoff, nitrogen and herbicides in the water, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
April 2009 Photo of the month thread - post contest images here-060414_4410_cr.jpg   April 2009 Photo of the month thread - post contest images here-030417_1185_cr.jpg  
Barbara E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #82
Official Plant Nerd

And a great photo it is. We should be ashamed of ourselves for what that duck is swimming in. Great photos Barbara.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:42 AM   #83
Carbon

Check out http://www.expoimaging.net/product-d..._Flash_Adapter. They have a $200 ring flash that attaches to the hotshoe of the larger flash units that mount of the camera. The ring flash will fit over lenses up to 4 inches in diameter. I only checked to see if it would fit Nikon's flash units (it fits a couple of them). It lists other major camera models, too.

Editing by FW to repair above link to direct to the ring flash.
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #84
Unicellular Fungi

I am afraid you have totally lost me. I clicked all over the Expo Imaging site and could not find any information on a ring flash or what it does. I am one of those people who is camera illiterate. Does a ring flash help take better wildlife photographs or better close ups or what exactly does it do for $200? Sage is the token non-gardener and I am the token non-photographer at Wildlife Gardeners.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #85
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Lorax, don't know about post 83, but ring flashes are good for portraits or close-ups where flash is needed, but if they're very expensive if it's not something you need alot. Use a diy foam bowl for a cheap effective alternative.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #86
Unicellular Fungi

I have a cut out round food storage container that I can slip over my lens to take close ups. I used it for a fly I took a picture of this morning. That was a really good idea. It has the added benefit of keeping raindrops off the lens. Now I need a styrofoam piece? I took over 100 photos to get 3 good photos of Ambystoma laterale (Blue-spotted salamander) and the flash turned the little guy white. The good photos I got were when the sun came out for a bit and I didn't need flash. What would the styrofoam do and what shape do I need to cut it into to make it work?
Old 04-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #87
Administrator

Lorax. You will have to try again to post your salamander. That might have been a temporary burp.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #88
Unicellular Fungi

This is a photo of the little salamander I mentioned before.
Attached Thumbnails
April 2009 Photo of the month thread - post contest images here-img_0009_00.jpg  
Old 04-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #89
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Good shot, girl!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #90
Unicellular Fungi

And one more for the contest. This little guy is Pseudacris triseriata (Western Chorus Frog).
Attached Thumbnails
April 2009 Photo of the month thread - post contest images here-img_0010.jpg  

Tags
2009, april, contest, great blue heron, heron, images, month, photo, post, thread