Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
I've had these perennial vines growing around here for some years now, and I like them because they need little tending, and they like a lightweight trellis. Various pollinators like them too, the red wasp, and the little green bees, and these guys with the stripe. I've got lots of extra roots if any member needs some of this stuff, (the fruit is small 1/2" diameter, but it does taste like passion fruit) let me know if you need some hearty rootstock.

Attachment 44200Attachment 44201

ww
And here I was going to ask you what type of vine it was and what it's flowers looked like. THERE it stands... smack dab at the top in your lead in. Ok What zone is it hardy to? How tall does it get? How does it spread? Seeds Runners ? Need trimming??? Teach me-us! Spill it

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #12
Grub

I haven't been taking a lot of photos recently, too much time working in the garden, and the humidity fogs up my camera lens anyway. But I did find this cute tree frog on swamp milkweed yesterday when I was collecting leaves for my monarch caterpillars (taken with my phone.)
Attached Thumbnails
July 2016 photo of the month contest-13686585_10210176144264256_6766647159152161629_n.jpg  
gymell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:14 PM   #13

July 2016 photo of the month contest-leopard-dscf2852.jpg
Seeing eye to eye

Old 07-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #14

July 2016 photo of the month contest-dscf8374.jpg
Lying upon sun warmed rocks feels so good!

Old 07-27-2016, 10:51 PM   #15
Fox

pawprint

hey havalotta, I believe the thing is this: Passiflora lutea L.
yellow passionflower

and, the USDA website shows lots of various pixs, including the tendrils, and the rootstock, as well as the growing zone try this page: Plants Profile for Passiflora lutea (yellow passionflower) They also list it as 'endangered in PA', as well as being listed as somewhat 'weedy'...which it really is around here, that is why I have extra root shoots for this thing & willing to share the fun of growing this native! hahahaha I think they like a lot of sun, but a lot of sunshine in the woods is only about 4 hrs. per day.

Oh an the vines I have, seem to be about 8' long, but they are established, it might take some wildlifegardeners resolve to get the vines to grow more quickly, some organic matter in the dirt seems to help, avoid cutting with the weedeater!!.... and I try to get at least 3 roots in one area to grow up the fence post, just 1 little vine by itself is no fun! They can be a little lazy at first, I have to coax the things to grow on a structure, and tie them on with cloth ribbons, once they get upon the stucture, they seem to flourish as the summer heat intensifies.

Gosh the pix on the USDA site shows like 30 vines in a bucket, growing up a trellis, for a really thick effect. The things die off late in the fall, creating a lemon yellow fall foliage color & start over again from the ground next year, perhaps further south the vine might make it thru the winter somehow, but mine never do...but mine always come back from the established rootstock.

I have eaten a few leaves, hoping to catch a buzz or something, but nothing fun happened, not too bad to snack on tho, the fruit is kind of fun to eat.

ww
Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #16

Thanks Wildwatcher
I see it's hardy up to zone 5 I'm zone 4 pushing zone 5 by the warmth of the bay so think I'll pass on that one but thanks for the offer!

Tags
2016, contest, july, month, photo