Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 08:39 PM   #21
Offical Silphium Abuser

Some photos from our quick trip to Brevard County
Attached Thumbnails
December 2015 photo of the month contest-urban-ibis.jpg   December 2015 photo of the month contest-solstice-sunrise-2.jpg  

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~

Last edited by Rebek56; 01-05-2016 at 08:40 PM. Reason: forgot to attach photos
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
You are going way back! (Or have you been back to visit.)
Oh ya WAY back.....
What I did and still do when loading photos onto the computer. Most get separated into my folders by topic matter but the best of the best are loaded into month by month folders in a folder I label MG contests. All I have to do is go into the proper month, pick, choose and enter.

I have not taken many photos at all for the past two years. The camera broke, the old one's scratched, I hadn't the time to upload and separate what I DID take. And life goes on.....

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #23
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

recycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Oh ya WAY back.....
What I did and still do when loading photos onto the computer. Most get separated into my folders by topic matter but the best of the best are loaded into month by month folders in a folder I label MG contests. All I have to do is go into the proper month, pick, choose and enter.

I have not taken many photos at all for the past two years. The camera broke, the old one's scratched, I hadn't the time to upload and separate what I DID take. And life goes on.....
Aw...sorry you have been out of commission so long!

I have wanted to sort my photos labeling them with different tags so that I can search by month, year, subject matter, season, etc. not sure what program will allow me to do that.

I know on my blog, I tend to add tags which allow me to search things I've posted...id like to be able to do that with all of the photos I save in general.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #24
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

When I click on the 4 colored flag symbol at the bottom left of my screen, it opens up to whatever's stored in my computer. One bar says pictures, once clicked and opened you can add however many folders you want. Lets say you've added and labeled a folder, birds.... You can then add more folders into the bird folder, let's say wrens, geese etc to separate them even further.

After you click upon one of your photos a FIX area along the top bar allows me to adjust exposure, color or crop....
The area labeled OPEN (Also on the top bar) leads me to PAINT which gives me all sorts of ways to toy with a photo.

I've tried the month and year way of organizing my florals and it did NOT work out as far as trying to retrieve lets say a goldenrod in bloom.
If you know the month it's in bloom fine but I certainly can't remember when what blooms so that route WAS a bust for me.
I found it best to label florals by COLOR. Insects as well by color. Trees and bushes separated by season. If you'd like any more suggestions just ask how I manage and organize such and such. Your wish is my command ~..~

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #25

Thanks for the suggestions, hava. I'm guessing that I have different programs than you.

What I really should do is *research* to see what is out there. I really want to just be able to tag (label) the same photograph with as many labels as I want--season, color, common name, botanical name, subject (insect, flower, tree, berry,etc.), year, month, and more. I could leave them all in the same folder, and then search any tag--I could search "fall color" for example and any photos from Sept-November may come up if that is how they are tagged.

I'm thinking, if I cannot find a program to do it, I may end up creating a blog just for my photos so that I can sort them by tags. I'm not sure that that is feasible though.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #26
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Turttle, where is Alligator NWR?
Alligator River NWR is in eastern NC, roughly between Lake Mattamuskeet and the Outer Banks. A huge percentage of the ducks, swans and geese who migrate down from the Arctic every winter spend the season in eastern NC. Because the land is really marshy and did not succumb to being cleared for farming (and or the farms failed because the land was too marshy, sometimes they tried anyway), there are huge wildlife refuges and gamelands all over the coastal plain of NC with both watery habitat and enough food supply to support the population. Over 40000 tundra swan overwinter in Mattamuskeet, and although I don't have numbers for Alligator River, we saw more there on our trip. Definitely worth a visit in winter (in summer, way fewer birds and way, way more mosquitoes!)

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I'm so, so behind on sorting photos...don't hold your breath.

Jeff is on the phone right now asking about the camera that is on back order.

...*still* on back order. ...Again, don't hold your breath.

Well...to update the camera situation. It is a good thing we got a good price and didn't worry about getting the camera for Christmas...because Jeff went in about two weeks ago to ask about it again--still on back order.

Today, I was walking the yard as the sun was going down. I used my phone's camera to capture the beautiful sunset. That and various times over the past couple of days, got me thinking how much I want a GOOD camera and need one to get the quality of photos I'd like for shots of wildlife, flowers, and such.

So, it was on my mind, and Jeff even brought it up before I went outside for the 5th or 6th time today--I told him that it wasn't quite 2 weeks yet. So, when I came in for the final time now that the light is gone, I sat down at the computer (something I want to start doing more often--as opposed to posting from my phone)...when, all of a sudden my ringtone startles me. It is the guy from the store--my first thought was it was another "check in" to see if I liked the camera (that is what happened last time he called me)--this time, he had good news. He had the camera in his hands. We can pick it up tomorrow!

(Boy! I sure am long-winded. Sorry. )

ME SO EXCITED!
Old 01-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #28
Alternate POM Judge

Congratulations dap. Now you can post pictures in the photo contests.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:02 AM   #29
Offical Silphium Abuser

Looking forward to more fabulous pictures, dap!

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015, contest, december, month, photo