Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
Heron

I certainly hope it will not be more than $20, considering I'm planning to catch a sale once I get all of the photos. Once I order the calendars and get them in, shipping out via USPS to each person will cost between $3-6, depending on how much the packages weigh (more or less than 13 oz., which is the cut off for sending a "flat" large envelope.)
Old 11-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
Heron

UPDATE

Running into a wee bit of a SNAFU on some of the photos I have to work with. The following are not quite high enough resolution for calendar sized prints. We have a few choices on how to deal with this.
1. get high resolution prints, if possible, from the photographers
2. use them anyway, with the possibility that they might print out grainy
3. replace these photos with alternates that are available in hi-res.

I'll entertain any other suggestions and all opinions, so long as you make yourself heard ASAP.

Some of you POM winners have already emailed me alternates to use. Thank you for that.

I have heard nothing from gymell, so I may have to replace that photo regardless.

Quote:
Problems with lo-res photos:

February
disuhan's Feb. 2014 photo of an owl

March
turttle's Mar. 2014 photo of a bud in ice

May
turttle's May 2014 photo of a dragonfly

July
gymell's Jul 2014 photo of a hummingbird

September
disuhan's Sep 2014 photo of a caterpillar

October
wildwatcher's Oct 2014 photo of an Arkansas forest
Old 11-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
Fox

pawprint One good SnaFu deserves another

I feel terrible that my snapshot quality is so lame! And I took another pix from same location, but it just didn't have the same look, and I couldn't get non-pixalated quality out of the retake...either!

Did ya have any luck trying to print one of the high quality pictures? (yanno like test print on a home printer)

ww
Old 11-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
Alternate POM Judge

I vote for option 1 then option 3 if that doesn't work.

kchd, Is there anything I can do to help? This sounds time consuming for you.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #15
Heron

Ellen, it is not too time consuming. I am just trying to get calendars printed and ordered as soon as possible to get them mailed out to folks who want one.

Do you mind selecting an alternate winner for July?
My personal favorite alternate was rockerBOO's wasp on spotted beebalm photo.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #16
Grub

I'm not really sure what to do about my caterpillar image since I've lost the original. The only existing copies are what I've posted here and on Facebook. Maybe the file I have on WG is bigger than on Facebook? Given that it was an iPhone image to begin with I'm not sure it was ever "hi-res". Anyone have any suggestions?

As far as my owl image I can re-crop it and save as a tif or something that's higher resolution. Or if you prefer, I'll just send you the original and you can make it the size you need.
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #17
Heron

disuhan, do you still have the image on your iphone? My spiderwort photo from last year was also taken with an iphone, and the full size image was 2 MB.

Yes, please send the original owl photo, too. I will crop it and make it work

thanks!!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
Ellen, it is not too time consuming. I am just trying to get calendars printed and ordered as soon as possible to get them mailed out to folks who want one.

Do you mind selecting an alternate winner for July?
My personal favorite alternate was rockerBOO's wasp on spotted beebalm photo.

Thanks!
Sounds good to me kchd. I agree lets use rockerBOO's photo.

Let me know if I can help you with anything. Thanks so much for having the calendar created.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #19
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I had the same problem kchd, it depends on the camera from which the photo was taken. I had to substitute a few that just weren't hi-res enough. I usually used second place photos when Sage was POM judge and there were often second and third place photos awarded. Sometimes I went back a year or two to find the winner of that month to use if I could. A third option is just picking a photo from that month that you like and asking if you could use it. Time is short so you do what you have to do to make it happen.

The files uploaded to WG are not nearly large enough to create for the calendar. Originals from a decent digital camera are the best although I think iPhones are getting better these days. I don't know as I finally caved in a got my first smartphone, an iPhone 5s but have not taken a single photo with it yet so I can't comment on that.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #20
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
UPDATE

Running into a wee bit of a SNAFU on some of the photos I have to work with. The following are not quite high enough resolution for calendar sized prints. We have a few choices on how to deal with this.
1. get high resolution prints, if possible, from the photographers
2. use them anyway, with the possibility that they might print out grainy
3. replace these photos with alternates that are available in hi-res.

I'll entertain any other suggestions and all opinions, so long as you make yourself heard ASAP...

I'm just seeing this now, so I'm not sure this suggestion will still be considered ASAP. Here goes anyway: option 4. Could you create a collage of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners on one calendar page. This would allow for smaller sized photos, hopefully eliminating the graininess...and it would still allow the winning photo to be featured.

I plan to email kchd a sample of a page that I did of a collage on the fundraising calendar I created. If it is too much work, I understand. So do what you have to do.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015, calendar