Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Photo of the Month (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/)
-   -   November 2014 Photo of the Month Contest (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/12670-november-2014-photo-month-contest.html)

EllenW 11-06-2014 10:41 AM

November 2014 Photo of the Month Contest

How many Turkey pictures can we get for November?

Thanks all for the great photos that you submit to these contests.

EllenW 11-16-2014 08:01 PM

ok first.....where are your November photo entries?

second. I'm confused about the schedule. If entries can be accepted until the 5th of the following month then does the current month start on the 1st or the 6th?

dapjwy 11-16-2014 08:26 PM

Not sure where the entries are, but the month goes from the first day to the last day of the month..however, people want/need a few more days to get their photos uplodded to their computer and sorted through. If someone takes a picture on the last day (or last few days) of the month, they want enough time to enter. However, the photos still need to be taken in that month (regardless of the year). So th e contest always starts on the 1st...but the winner is usally announced after the 5th of the following month.

Hope that was clear.

Rebek56 11-16-2014 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to get things started: an oakleaf hydrangea from last year.

dapjwy 11-16-2014 08:49 PM

Thanks, Rebek.

Nice color...and I really like how the veins stand out in green. Cool.

dapjwy 11-16-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllenW (Post 149413)
How many Turkey pictures can we get for November?

I've only seen a turkey here on our property once in 6 years. I'd be thrilled to see one (or more) before the month is out...getting photos would be even better.

EllenW 11-17-2014 09:00 AM

I've only seen Turkeys on the property next to me once. This year for some reason they let the field grow long and there is a lot of bristle grass. I'm hoping maybe that will attract Turkeys. They always have deer there in the winter.

linrose 11-17-2014 09:42 AM

We have a lot of turkeys here but I mostly see them in March when they are looking for mates and the toms are in full display and then again in summer when the hens have their broods following behind. I think I saw them one year actually on Thanksgiving Day which was pretty cool but I don't have any pictures of them from November.

I love the variation in color of the oakleaf hydrangeas from orange to bronze to deep purple. It's one of the few shrubs here that turn that deep purple color in autumn.

dapjwy 11-17-2014 05:19 PM

I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for them year round, but especially in the times of the year linrose suggests.

Good luck in spotting some, Ellen.

The one I came across was standing in the path when I came around a corner...it flew off and startled me before I even realized that I had a camera in my hand. This happened a few years ago, and I'll bet it is not the first time I told this story on WG.

EllenW 11-17-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 149642)
The one I came across was standing in the path when I came around a corner...it flew off and startled me before I even realized that I had a camera in my hand. This happened a few years ago, and I'll bet it is not the first time I told this story on WG.

That's ok dap. I never get tired of talking Turkey! haha!