Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
I actually managed to capture a photo this month worthy of the POM contest. Found this speckled kingsnake in the yard on Saturday when we had a beautiful warm day. Kingsnakes are some of my favorites, being so amazingly docile. You can pick them up and they will just hang out.

Attachment 41919
What a cool looking snake! Great photo.

I love the story that goes with it. Docile snakes...those are my kind of snakes.

Still not my favorite animal, but since encountering garter snakes, black rat snakes, and maybe a couple other species since moving here, I have gotten used to them. I'm not into picking up snakes, but I like that king snakes would "just hang out"...my only handling of a wild snake was when I freed that black rat snake from the berry netting it was hopelessly tangled in.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
That is Witch Hazel, which will keep "blooming" all winter and finish producing seed in the next fall. This allows warmer days in the fall/winter for it to get pollinators when not much else if any is blooming. Hazelnut is very early spring.
Thanks, rockerBOO. I guess I should've read farther down in the thread before I answered.

Interesting about less competition from other blooms so that it gets the pollinators all to itself.

Another fun fact I read about way back when: the seedpods explode to disperse their seeds. From what I read, someone had cut some branches to display the blooms inside, and when they were all settled in for the evening they heard a strange racket that made them jump up and go explore...that is when they found out the seedpods were shooting their seeds all over the room!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #23
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
another fun fact i read about way back when: The seedpods explode to disperse their seeds. From what i read, someone had cut some branches to display the blooms inside, and when they were all settled in for the evening they heard a strange racket that made them jump up and go explore...that is when they found out the seedpods were shooting their seeds all over the room!
haha
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #24
Fox

pawprint witchhazel blooming in winter

I'm not sure these witchhazel bloom would explode, as they don't have seedpods, or at least none that I can see. November 2014 Photo of the Month Contest-witchhazel-nov-2014-001.jpg But with all this talk of witchhazel blooms, I should at least submit a rather pitiful picture of it (NO these are not entries in this POM contest). I guess I can see how this would be a nice 'winter blooming' thing to have in the yard, now that I noticed several of these shrubs that are quite large some nearly 15' tall. I like the 'witchhazel' crookie~swervie structure & splotchy color of stem & limbs.November 2014 Photo of the Month Contest-witchhazel-nov-2014-002.jpg

I'm definitely going to try collecting/drying some witchhazel leaves next year, about the same time I collect some sassafras leaves...I'll just have to make sure I don't intermix the two type leaves (one for medicine, one for cooking). I wouldn't mind trying to decoct my own witchhazel water.

My funny story of the witchhazel fruit, several years ago I thought they were hazelnut, and so I'm out there trying to gnaw on these hard little pine cones/fruit things from this bush to decide if they were worth bringing some home~~~I wasn't too impressed flavor-wise, but they were probably too green for a proper taste test!

ww
Old 11-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #25
Alternate POM Judge

I remember my Mom using witchhazel when we were kids. It was in a bottle as a liquid and she would use it on wounds or for some medicinal purpose.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #26
Alternate POM Judge

Any more November photos out there? You have through Dec. 5th to submit them. thanks!
Old 12-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
I like the 'witchhazel' crookie~swervie structure & splotchy color of stem & limbs.
I've always enjoyed their trunks shape and branching structure, too.

I've added two near the house, and a few out in the woodland...I want to add still more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
My funny story of the witchhazel fruit, several years ago I thought they were hazelnut, and so I'm out there trying to gnaw on these hard little pine cones/fruit things from this bush to decide if they were worth bringing some home~~~I wasn't too impressed flavor-wise, but they were probably too green for a proper taste test!
Funny, but also a reminder to be sure of one's ID, before consuming something.

Tags
2014, contest, month, november, photo, witchhazel hamamelis vernalis