Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Photo of the Month (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/)
-   -   Photo of the month contest October 2014 (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/12620-photo-month-contest-october-2014-a.html)

EllenW 10-01-2014 08:34 AM

Photo of the month contest October 2014

Happy October everyone. Thank you for the photos that you submit to these contests. They are all winners!

wildwatcher 10-01-2014 04:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I know, I know, awful 'instamatic' picture quality...and yet I'm entering a few pixs just for fun!:hi

I like it when the wild turkeys visit from time to time, I think I counted about a dozen in this flock.Attachment 41684

At the same crossing in my driveway, the deer go thru here often.Attachment 41685

I found this 'hairy bugger', and he was kina big! Nearly 2" across...probably!....LOL I wasn't going to measure him with a ruler.Attachment 41686

ww

EllenW 10-01-2014 05:38 PM

Thanks ww. Lucky you to see Turkeys on your property. That spider is a beauty.

KC Clark 10-03-2014 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found this monarch cat on my Sullivant's milkweed yesterday. Cat was 5th instar but not full size. Hopefully, it is the last of the year because it is getting awfully late in the year.

EllenW 10-03-2014 07:59 PM

Glad you found a Monarch cat KC. Did you have many of them this summer?

KC Clark 10-07-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllenW (Post 148871)
Glad you found a Monarch cat KC. Did you have many of them this summer?

It was a very good year. I have yet to tally my notes to see how many I raised. I gave quite a few away since I did not have time to be raising all of them. And then even more raised themselves. Before this year, I had seen 3 monarch chrysalises on milkweeds during my life time. This year, my son and I found at least 6 in my front yard. And in a first, my butterfly weed had monarch cats eating it. I had never seen that before. Also found eggs on it. A very good year.

EllenW 10-07-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Clark (Post 148948)
It was a very good year. I have yet to tally my notes to see how many I raised. I gave quite a few away since I did not have time to be raising all of them. And then even more raised themselves. Before this year, I had seen 3 monarch chrysalises on milkweeds during my life time. This year, my son and I found at least 6 in my front yard. And in a first, my butterfly weed had monarch cats eating it. I had never seen that before. Also found eggs on it. A very good year.

Always great to hear happy news like that KC!

Rebek56 10-07-2014 08:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Fall color shots from October 2012. We haven't had much color this year.

havalotta 10-20-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwatcher (Post 148839)

I found this 'hairy bugger', and he was kina big! Nearly 2" across...probably!....LOL I wasn't going to measure him with a ruler.Attachment 41686

ww

Why not? Afraid he's gonna grab on and arm wrestle ya?:crazy1
Love the fallen leaves Rebeck. Makes me want to do a shuffle-sprint right through them.

wildwatcher 10-20-2014 11:10 PM

Your so funny havalotta, keep those one-liners going ~~~I love 'em.

And you hit the nail on the head, one thing I don't like wrestling is with hairy spiders. But it's Ok if he lives under the house, and not in the house!

ww