Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default ~June 2014 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~

Hello all,

This is a little late in coming, but the June 2014 POM contest is now officially opened:

School is almost out and, I don't know about you, but we've had a taste of summer with an unusual amount of sunny days lately...along with some hot temps! With birds nesting, babies fledging, butterflies reappearing...and lots of blooms, you should have no trouble finding subject matter...so let's start posting photos!

Post up to five photo entries here! June photo entries will be accepted through July 5th. Good luck!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
Alternate POM Judge

Hello wildlife gardeners! Where are your photo entries? I'm sure there is a lot going on in your gardens. I hope to see your photos here soon. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #3
Heron

Here's one.

Grasshopper Nymph on Ohio Spiderwort
Attached Thumbnails
~June 2014 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-14385399052_28774a7ced_b.jpg  
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
Alternate POM Judge

Cool thanks rockerboo
Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
Here's one.

Grasshopper Nymph on Ohio Spiderwort
How cool!

Great colors, too.

I don't think I've ever seen a grasshopper nymph before--not that small/young at least. I doubt I'd have known what it was. Very cool!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Unicellular Fungi

I'm new here and I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly. I hope I have attached 3 pics. The first should be Silene virginica. Two is Rhododendron calendulaceum and 3 may be (I hope) Actaea pacypoda. Well, here goes.
Attached Thumbnails
~June 2014 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-dsc01581-1-.jpg   ~June 2014 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-dsc01577-1-.jpg   ~June 2014 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-dsc01604-1-.jpg  
back40bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by back40bean View Post
I'm new here and I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly. I hope I have attached 3 pics. The first should be Silene virginica. Two is Rhododendron calendulaceum and 3 may be (I hope) Actaea pacypoda. Well, here goes.
Welcome aboard, back40bean!

Yes, you were able to post the three pictures (as I'm sure you've already noticed). I remember when all of this was new to me...I'm sure there are still some tricks I need to learn.

Very unusual petals on your Silene virginica--at least mine never looked so toothed/jagged.

As far as I can tell, the 3rd does look like Actaea pacpoda (I had to do an image search since my knowledge of botanical names is somewhat sporadic. Looks like what I call "doll's eyes" to me.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by back40bean View Post
I'm new here...
Hey, I almost forgot...being new and all, you may want to post a little introduction here http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...urself-please/.

I'm so glad you found us.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #9

After getting Sage's permission, I thought I should share why she is not around to host the Photo of the Month (POM) contest this month.

She fell and broke her shoulder. She is in an immobilizing cast and recuperating at home with pain meds and physical therapy. What a trooper; she PM'd me to make sure I started the POM thread for her! With all that had happened, she was still focused on her duty. I, on the other hand, hadn't signed in for at least a week and missed the message!

Many thanks to WG Admin and EllenW for stepping up and resolving this.

We can all share our well wishes with Sage here: http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...tml#post146289
Old 06-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
Fox

pawprint Pom

I found this interesting, I haven't seen one of these before!

~June 2014 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-100_2157.jpg

ww

Tags
2014, entry, june, month, photo, thread