Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
Fox

Thanks for PMing me, linrose. I might have missed the request otherwise as I haven't been very active here (or anywhere) of late. I made a decision to limit my internet time when I realized I hadn't read an entire paper book in over a year. Unfortunately, this has kept me away from places that I truly care for as well as all those time wasters that were eating away at my down time.

Still, I think of you folks quite a bit. I'm in Florida at the moment. I came down with an elderly friend to help him get settled in. I'm only here for a week but there's a slight chance I'll take some pics that you may be interested in...

Also, just before I left I made a score at a junk store. I got about 12-15 issues of 'The Conservationist', the magazine of (if memory serves me), The Conservation Society of New York State. Most of them are from the early 60's. I've only been able to browse a few of them but they are an interesting look at some earlier conservation tendencies, some good, some bad. Two things jumped out at me right away.

One, they had a photo of two deer that had been killed by a pack of dogs, as well as the bodies of the 5 dogs that they had shot. Now, I have no problem at all with them killing feral animals, but could you imagine the uproar that would occur today if such a photo was published? Even many "conservationists" would be calling for somebody's head.

Two, the few issues I scanned had beautifully illustrated center spreads that showed several varieties of some flora or fauna. I'm going to try to find someone who can scan them clearly without damaging the magazines themselves.

So, this probably wasn't the right place for a 'catching up' post, but here it is anyway. I'll try not to be too much of stranger, but I can't make any promises.

Best regards,
Dan
Old 11-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I got my photos sent in too.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #13

I hope you come back to visit when you find the time, Bulu. Enjoy your time in Florida.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Great Horned Owl

Please count me in on acquiring a calendar!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #15

Hey, jack, nice to see you are still around!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Hey, jack, nice to see you are still around!
I'm here quite often, Dap, but have grown quiet in my old age, ha ha. I do follow many of the threads, though, and then reflect upon what I've read. I've become more interested in vegetable gardening than in attracting wildlife, but all of a sudden, this Fall, the old vision of a property teaming with wildlife returned, and I'm doing all of those Fall things to help insure I see some interesting critters pass through here during the winter...

My number one wildlife dream/wish - to see a bobcat!!!

Oracle at Delphi
Old 11-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I'm here quite often, Dap, but have grown quiet in my old age, ha ha. I do follow many of the threads, though, and then reflect upon what I've read. I've become more interested in vegetable gardening than in attracting wildlife, but all of a sudden, this Fall, the old vision of a property teaming with wildlife returned, and I'm doing all of those Fall things to help insure I see some interesting critters pass through here during the winter...

My number one wildlife dream/wish - to see a bobcat!!!
Well, glad you are around. It is nice to see you posting.

I'm glad something rekindled your interest in attracting wildlife.

As for vegetable gardening, each year I try to do better than the year before. Just yesterday, I raked a lot of leaves over to use on the vegetable garden as I prepare it for winter. Despite my continued interest in creating native habitat for wildlife, I am choosing to put the leaves on the garden beds instead of adding them to smother the area that I'm trying to establish as our woodland. Maybe I'll use half of them in the woodland.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Thank you bulu, I appreciate the effort, and to you too Jack, we've (I've) missed your presence here.

We are all still family even when we go walkabout and find other paths, it's nice to rekindle old friendships.

Now who's up for a 2014 calendar (me donning my sales cap now!)?
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #19
Great Horned Owl

Sign me up!!!

Oracle at Delphi
Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Thank you bulu, I appreciate the effort, and to you too Jack, we've (I've) missed your presence here.

We are all still family even when we go walkabout and find other paths, it's nice to rekindle old friendships.

Now who's up for a 2014 calendar (me donning my sales cap now!)?
Your soft-sell is irresistable. I'll take 300. (checks bank account). Um, I guess I'll have to settle for one right now.

Tags
2014, calendar