Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #61
Fox

pawprint well it is mid april2014...

...and I thought I would include a pix of some of the mayapple plots around my place, because even after digging out a hundred rootlets...~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-april2014-014.jpgWOW, now I can't even tell I was even in there!~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-april2014-025.jpg These things are grown from stolons, and I couldn't be happier to report that my mayapple natives have actually thrived by the selective thinning!

Now only 50 more to go... when Havalotta the other prize winner gets ready for them later this year. (I haven't forgotten,...yet)

This pix shows the bud of the flower that shall soon develop. ~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-april2014-008.jpg
Old 04-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #62
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Just back tracking to see about when my babies will be ready for transport.

Quote:
They will seance around the first of july, and I might add, that they are much easier to find at that time...so your making this really easy for me. I'll remind you when I'm ready to dig a batch for you...probably mid July, look for an email from me then to get your mailing & quantity information (yes you won 50 rootlets, but if you feel that is too many for your purpose, let me know at that time-- the quantity you desire.)
What does seance mean...I'm not familiar with the term. I'm assuming dormant.
I will plant them near the edge of the woods or pond where they can be viewed from within every Spring.
Once the snow melts I will walk the new property to see exactly how moist and what type of soil it has.

If I were to guess the soil requirements...I'd say leafy and rich? Would somewhat sandy be ok?

Do they prefer it a bit moist or could they be grown more upland and dry? There is a lowland-pond visible from the home. Some of its edge is in full sun, the opposite side might receive some shade from the trees just South. I want them to thrive just not survive. What would you suggest?

I'll go with whichever area BEST fits their sun requirements then if need be, I can and will adjust the soil accordingly.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #63
Fox

pawprint

Hey havalotta, just about anywhere Hostas grow well, then sandyish, rich dirt should be great, moisture present would help...I suppose. But I think the somewhat rich dirt should be the best for them, I find mine growing naturally in the relatively moist area very gravely, mostly clay with plenty of leaf & debris all over the place in the bottom of a ravine, (didn't ya look at my picture?) LOL ...but I've also seen them growing in somewhat dry clay gravel areas. With 50 rootlets, heck ya might try a few different places just for fun! Oh yeah some shade or even mostly shade might help alot, I don't think they would be happy in an open field for example. If all else fails...think like a turtle! hahaha yanno these things are great turtle cover and provide food for them. Ya 'senece' means to go dormant, which these things go dormant pretty early around late July or thereabouts. But just because the tops die-off, the root is alive & well and thriving till very early next spring. These things usually are found with the main runners only about an 1" deep but at each 'node' there the mayapple puts downward feeder roots that might be about 5" below the main runners. You will figure it out when you see the rootlets, point the feeder roots down in a hole and ya got it when you cover it up with dirt. I wouldn't fertilize which might force them to spring out of the ground too early or something like that...which you definitely don't want to happen since your so far north. I wonder, have you ever seen anything like these growing wayyyy up north? I'm sure dapjwy is growing them over in PA. ww
Old 04-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #64

Oh YES!
I found a very nice cluster of them on State land...No... make that two clusters (I've since found another)
Every Spring, I take a hike when the weather warms just after its rained a couple of times to look for the Morels.
I make a swing over into that area just to view the colony.
~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-dscf6825.jpg
They look so prehistoric! Especially when viewed from underneath.

Quote:
These things usually are found with the main runners only about an but at each 'node' there the mayapple puts downward feeder roots that might be about 5" below the main runners.
Would that 1" deep be meaning to plant them one "Inch" or one "Foot" deep?

Old 04-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #65
Alternate POM Judge

Wow I love your picture havalotta. I thought you still had snow on the ground. Love the mayapple pictures ww. I would love to have them. Mayapples and jack in the pulpit remind me of my childhood. They are 2 plants I remember learning about and being fascinated by when I was very young.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #66
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I like that photo too hava, they do look sort of tropical, like an umbrella plant! I like the ferns there too, are they ebony spleenwort? Just a wild guess. They have that narrow upright look and alternate leaflets on the top.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #67
Fox

pawprint I think I'll make you a picture

Approx. 1 inch below the surface, NOT 1 foot. hahaha...sorry I was having technical difficulties that day I posted that weird post! ~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-mayapple-root-structure.jpg

Hi Ellen, thanks for the compliment. If you want some mayapple root from me, I would be happy to send you some after late July, you or anyone else that would be interested in a small reasonable quantity, would be responsible for shipping charge usually around $10.00.

Just BTW, these mayapple make a mayapple fruit that is full of seed...one might be able to gain some nice plants from seed. I like the rootlet transplant method, because I'm the 'impatient kind'.

ww
Old 04-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
Wow I love your picture havalotta. I thought you still had snow on the ground. Love the mayapple pictures ww. I would love to have them. Mayapples and jack in the pulpit remind me of my childhood. They are 2 plants I remember learning about and being fascinated by when I was very young.
Yes we do... Well in the woods yet anyway. We can finally see the grass in town. That photo, was from a few years back.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
Approx. 1 inch below the surface, NOT 1 foot. hahaha...sorry I was having technical difficulties that day I posted that weird post!
ww
No need to draw me up a picture.
yUp I WaS wOnDerInG WhAt PlAnEt U WeRe FrOm WhEn YoU HaD tYpEd tHaT 1".

Old 04-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #70
Alternate POM Judge

Hi wildwatcher, thank you for the mayapple offer. I will let you know. I may be able to get some locally.

Tags
2013, entry, mayapple, month, november, photo, podophyllum peltatum, thread