Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default My Entries

I'm finally getting these posted. Shush--don't tell Jeff (I'm supposed to be packing.)

~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-dsc05286-crop.jpg

~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-dsc05285-crop-pom.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #22
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
mayapple rootlets (Podophyllum peltatum),
mayapple rootlets?!?

I better get some photos submitted!

Found this woodcock hiding on a log in Lake Ramsey Preserve, a longleaf pine forest in se Louisiana a couple of days ago. There were some amazing herbaceous understory plants there. I was in heaven!
Attached Thumbnails
~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-woodcock1.jpg   ~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-woodcock2.jpg  
Old 11-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #23
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Wildwatcher, I would love to have some Mayapple rootlets, though I have nothing worth entering this month. I have been mostly confined to the house since my surgery and my camera is sitting unused. I have tons of Geranium maculatum. I am not as much of a purist as Dap about local provenance, and given I buy from as far away as Prairie Moon, rural AK doesn't seem too far away.

It snowed today (briefly, but still...), for the second time this month, in Chapel Hill! This is appalling and bodes poorly for how severe the winter will be. Nights down into the low twenties for the rest of the week. I thought this was the South...

I saw my first brown headed nuthatch a few days ago, though no red-breasted ones yet this year (they don't come this far south every year); white throated sparrows, juncos, pine warblers, bluebirds, hermit thrush - most of my winter birds are here now though the window I can sit out now is at the wrong angle to take photos (like Linrose's downy woodpeckers, many of these live here but only come to feeders in the winter).

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
mayapple rootlets?!?

I better get some photos submitted!

Found this woodcock hiding on a log in Lake Ramsey Preserve, a longleaf pine forest in se Louisiana a couple of days ago. There were some amazing herbaceous understory plants there. I was in heaven!
Very cool. I think they are rather reclusive. Great shots.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
am not as much of a purist as Dap...
Funny..we are visiting friends...and earlier today we were talking about her being a purist (not using a bread machine) and my being a purist with natives. You just proved my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I saw my first brown headed nuthatch a few days ago...
Congratulations.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #26
Fox

pawprint

hahha >>>kchd...so your man took you on a snipe hunt eh?....and it seems you not only found it, but took a nice picture of it twice. w2g!

>>>turttle...of course you may have some mayapple roots, PM me with name & address & WHEN you want them, quantity desired or whatever and we can figure out shipping details. And because you have taught me that mayapple are clone based, I'll make sure to get some rootlets from different areas on my property.

ww
Old 11-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #27
Offical Silphium Abuser

AMAZING bluebird photos!

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
AMAZING bluebird photos!
Wow! Thank you, Rebek! I'm thrilled I got them.

However, I think the competition is steep.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

WOW a woodcock. Those are rarely seen much less finding one still sitting that hasn't taken flight yet! And the blue bird with the bright contrasting berries! You are so right.... the competition IS steep.

From one of our very own...Wildwatcher, What a nice way of offering, giving and sharing with one another!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #30
Heron

Oh, yea, the bluebird shots are stellar! Dap, what kind of berries are those?

ww, 'tis true, if we had been hunting, that bird would have been in the pot & not on film. But we were tree hugging that day, not hunting. Whereas my DH prefers bird hunting, I prefer mammal hunting. And we both prefer fishing. Eat local! Do you ever hear folks call them "timberdoodles" down your way?

Last edited by kchd; 12-01-2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: adding
kchd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, entry, mayapple, month, november, photo, podophyllum peltatum, thread