Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Wonderful hydrangea photo

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #12
Offical Silphium Abuser

Thanks, hava. Fall in this part of the world is just flat-out gorgeous.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Fox

Nice pictures Rebek. I wonder what the first place prize will be for this month POM?

ww
Old 11-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #14

Slow month ha?
~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-p1020352.jpg
Slow as watching lichen grow.
~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-p1020412.jpg
Winter blues got you?
~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-p1020247.jpg
Pretty icy crowd.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
Offical Silphium Abuser

Love the jay!

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Slow month ha?
Attachment 39602
Slow as watching lichen grow.
Attachment 39601
Winter blues got you?
Attachment 39603
Pretty icy crowd.
Great shots, havalotta! (As usual.)

It has been a slow couple of months for me, but I just might have an entry or two from yesterday if I ever get around to posting them.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
Fox

pawprint 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place prizes for November POM***

How about 100 wild geranium maculatum rhizomes for 1st place.~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-wildgeraniums-026.jpg
50 wild geranium maculatum rhizomes for 2nd place.
25 wild geranium maculatum rhizomes for 3rd place.

I mentioned these prizes to Sage, but she was on her honeymoon at the time and probably forgot, so I'll just blurt this out there:

this is what I offer to ship to the winners of November POM. The rhizomes vary in size, and I'm not positive they are all wild geranium, but pretty sure. I'll be cleaning some overgrown honeysuckle down in the bottoms and the wild geraniums are fairly easy to find, I'll be selecting some from various areas so that my wild population shall not be damaged. It is just that I would like to share 175 of these things, and I don't mind doing a little work to do it. Once I get em cleaned & washed, I'll give em all a 10% bleach soak, then rinse a couple times more. Pop the quantity into the bag, add a little moss & water, seal & ship to the winners if they don't mind sending me their mailing address. I looked at the UPS website and I couldn't find any restrictions on shipping this type item. If any of the winners would rather have~November 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-latemay2013-007.jpg mayapple rootlets (Podophyllum peltatum), make that known to me and I can make that change for whomever. This is a one time offer, the ground may soon be frozen soon! These type plants are woodland perennial and generally exist very close to the top of the ground. They prefer a moist well drained dirt.

***Also this offer is primarily subject to any rules that Sage (Judge), or the Wildlife Gardners Administration seek to impose, because Sage hasn't returned an answer to me to give away this type prize, I'm not sure it is within the WG rules of conduct.

I encourage all members including all new members to submit photos for this contest.

wildwatcher
Old 11-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
How about 100 wild geranium maculatum rhizomes for 1st place.Attachment 39624
50 wild geranium maculatum rhizomes for 2nd place.
25 wild geranium maculatum rhizomes for 3rd place.
I think that is very generous. My concern is that, although wild geranium has a wide native range, mixing local populations with populations from extreme distances doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'm trying to keep things as local as possible.

I'm not sure what other members think...but I think finding out how detrimental that could be to other native populations should be determined first.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way. You are very kind to offer such huge quantities of a beautiful native.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #19

So THAT'S WHY you had said this....
Quote:
Nice pictures Rebek. I wonder what the first place prize will be for this month POM?
You were doing a lead in and with Sage being gone It wasn't brought to anyone's attention.

I'd take the May Apples in a heartbeat but how would one preserve them over Winter.
We're and I'm sure others are already "Frozen in solid!" A Spring shipment might work out better.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #20
Fox

pawprint dapjwy & havalotta make a good point...

...so of the top 3 winners..., I'll make an addendum to the prizes offered, the contestants choice, rootlets as mentioned previously, or I'll send you a check for $9.00 which is the expense I would expect to pay to the freight company. This way if the money is chosen by the contestant as a prize, ~~~for whatever, or no reason at all~~~, all I have to do is send the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place winners a prize check of $9.00.

If a winner decides to have their prize rootlets shipped at a later date, (like Havalotta just mentioned, her ground is frozen) if I'm still alive, I will ship the things at the time the winner decides. If a winner decides 100 rootlets is too much for them to use wisely, no problem...tell me how many you actually want, up to these amounts: 1st (100), 2nd (50), & 3rd place (25).

If a winner decides they don't want the $9.00, nor the rootlets being shipped at their convenient time, I could donate the $9.00 value to the Wildlife Gardeners organization.

One way or the other, if you place in this contest {times running out folks, get your pixs in quick} I'm going to try to make your efforts for submitting such fine pictures just a little bit worth it.

ww

Tags
2013, entry, mayapple, month, november, photo, podophyllum peltatum, thread