Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Leaf04 ~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~

Happy autumn all! Not much time left to catch those fleeting fall colors! They are fading fast in the northeast. We haven't had a hard freeze yet so the brilliant colors are hard to find. Before this month is over, many of us may be seeing bare trees and monotone scenes.

And to give you extra inspiration, we have a prize offer from rcwarship for the October winner!

He has offered a wonderful addition to the library of any Wildlife Gardener, a gently used hardcover copy of ~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-20091213cover.jpg

For a peek inside and to read the reviews GO HERE!

Now grab your camera and start posting!

Oh! Pumpkins, Squashes of any kind, and Spiders (real, not fake) ARE FREE and please also share them on the appropriate threads too!

~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-p1590932-001.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Wow! September flew by (for me anyway).

As for fall colors, we are not at peak/prime colors yet...but certain spots seem to be. Other areas are just starting to change. I can't wait until the trees I've been putting in over the past few years start to attain some height and make their presence know! I've planted the with fall colors in mind as well as wildlife value.

Thanks for the prize donation, rcwarship. ...and thanks for all of the energy you put into the contests, Sage.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Boy if you added an eyeball to that squash-gourd it would look just like one of those warty headed barnyard fowl!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #4

Hava, that's what I thought too! It is the first of a bunch making up the centerpiece which has dried up already!
Old 10-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhhhhhhhh rcwarship!!! You honey you!!! That's a really great book!!!
--
Sage> freeeeeeeeeeeeee pumpkins at this time of year!!! You're a gluten for punishment!!!
Attached Thumbnails
~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-img_3079.jpg   ~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-img_3078.jpg   ~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-img_3075.jpg   ~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-img_3073.jpg  
Old 10-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhhhh..... you gave us free gourds too so here ya go!!!
Attached Thumbnails
~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-img_3080.jpg   ~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-img_3082.jpg   ~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-img_3083.jpg   ~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-img_3081.jpg  
Old 10-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #7

Great shots, Lib...I like the first shot the best--pumpkins,pumpkins, and more pumpkins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
You're a gluten for punishment!!!
Hmmm....are you on one of those "iThingies" as you call them? Autocorrect? You always say my posts don't make sense anymore. (Gee, maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Ha ha ha.... you missed where I originally typed gluttten and punishmentt.... I had 3 extra Ts in there. Musta laid on the t key a little too heavy or maybe it's about time for a new keyboard so I went back quick fast and took out a t but didn't get both of the extras in gluten so I had to go back again and knock it down to just 1 t and then I realized I'd forgotten to take out the extra t in punishment. What's funny is that I'm normally pretty considerate about adding something when I edit so people know I edited and was in such a rush to get rid of those extra Ts that I totally forgot to add a comment!!! My bad! And noooooo..... I don't have an i thingie and I don't have spell check or autocorrect either... I'm too cheap to buy those programs. I've got spell check in my e-mail though... it's free but I just cancel it out and click send because I'm too lazy to bother with e-mail most of the time so when I do use it..... I only correct anything that's obvious and just cancel out on the spell check.... it's annoying. It hilights scientific names of plants and words that it thinks should be capitalized since it's a grammar check too and with the way I type.... pert near everything is highlighted since I'm such a slob sooooo.... I just close it out and click send!!!
--
Today... after I go back to bed and wake up again.... I'm gonna get some photos of my luffa gourds and my birdhouse gourds.... poor Sage....... she gave us freeeeeeeeeee pumpkins and gourds!!!! And since I'm reading that 1st post again.... I'm catching she gave us free squash too!!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #9

Quote:
.What's funny is that I'm normally pretty considerate about adding something when I edit so people know I edited and was in such a rush to get rid of those extra Ts that I totally forgot to add a comment!!! My bad!
No biggie. I usually only mention why I edited my post if I catch something a while after I post. Sometimes I'll reread something later, and something jumps out at me. If it is within a minute or so of hitting SUBMIT REPLY, then I usually just fix it...no explanation necessary.

Quote:
...the spell check.... it's annoying. It hilights scientific names of plants and words that it thinks should be capitalized since it's a grammar check too and with the way I type...
I hear you on the scientific names.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #10

Lib, what is that $7.99 green thingy? I love seeing gourds, squashes and pumpkins! They are so amazing! Are the little white ones really pumpkins? I have one with my centerpiece right now. Some of the gourds are drying or losing their color, so I'll probably have to pick up some replacements so the arrangement lasts another month. I got everything at a farm stand south of Syracuse and the gourds were 2/$1.00!

We went back to an Amish country store to get the celadon green pumpkin like we got last year, but this years their pumpkins were pink and warty!

Tags
2013, entry, october, pom, thread