Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

There's a dark green $7.99 thingie and a light green $7.99 thingie in the photo. They're both birdhouse gourds. It's pouring rain outside right now and it's a little bit too dark anyway or I'd go outside and take some photos for you. I'm growing the light green variety of birdhouse gourd this year along with another variety that's got a similar shape that's not mottled. They're all supposed to be thick walled gourds. FYI.... not a great shot of the gourd on the far left but that's another birdhouse gourd.... it's the classic apple shape that we gutted and painted up at 4B's house last summer. MasterAnts won 1 for a contest and he hung it on his Christmas tree!!! The gourd in the photo had a really nice shape to it but.... not good enough to pay $7.99 for it. I bought a gourd at the Elnora tractor and quilt show that I've never seen before. I'll have to take a photo of it and post it. It was so unique I admit I woulda paid $10 for it but... I only paid $5 because that's all they were asking for it.
--
I'll try to take some photos of my luffa gourds and a Connecticut Field pumpkin for you tomorrow... it's supposed to rain so don't be holding your breath. The CT Field pumpkins have beautiful shapes to them and deep orange color.... much better than those warty pink thingies they've been selling!!! I haven't noticed any celadon pumpkins being sold around here but if I see 1... I'll pick it up for you since you got stiffed out of buying 1 at the country store. They're selling what looks like CT Field pumpkins for $15 to $25 a PIECE around here!!! Insane!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Lib, I did find a celadon pumpkin at the place with the cheap gourds, and I haven't seen them elsewhere this year. I love the one on my table surrounded with the other gourds, so I don't need another, but thanks! Weather is crummy here so I imagine fall festivals and pumpkin patches aren't having a good weekend, and the birders are getting wet!

We're staying in but good news - I'm working on the hat! Got by the rough spot finally and might have it done before the rainy cloudy weather lets up! Guess I should order some felting supplies or prepare to attempt bird sketches! Or do both!

I'll be watching for your gourd photos!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

OMG..... you must be bored out of your gourd or suffering from guilt at the $$$ you spent on the yarn, "but good news - I'm working on the hat!"
Old 10-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Staying in too long when the laundry is done gives me time to feel guilty about not whipping the hat off when I got the yarn a few years ago! That yarn wasn't expensive though. Now I do have some very nice yarn we drove a really long way to get sitting here waiting for me to tackle it!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I just got home from an animal shelter benefit. I bid on actually two different books for you knitters. One was knit your own dog, the other knit your own cat. It had oodles of knitting patterns for creating both dogs and cats. I thought it was a crazy but cute idea. I'd never make one myself as I don't have the patience to sit and knit but If there ever was one for sale all done and all I might have purchased one. They really DID look real.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #16
WG Facilitator

Default add picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Lib, what is that $7.99 green thingy?
When they have that shape, they're called Swan Gourds. They're often painted to look like swans or geese.
Attached Thumbnails
~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-th-1-.jpg  
Old 10-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #17
Offical Silphium Abuser

Spotted today in the Parkersburg Arboretum: fruiting euonymus
Attached Thumbnails
~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-euonymus.jpg  

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #18
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Spotted today in the Parkersburg Arboretum: fruiting euonymus
Nice shot; look at that coloration!

Is that Euonymus americanus, bursting-heart? (I also saw it listed as E. americana--interestingly enough a short, healthy debate erupted regarding this when the NJ tour was being held. All I know is it ended and I ended up being offered some seed by our guide to try to propagate. Wish me luck...it's within a reasonable radius from our home, so I'm happy to have it. I learned about it here on the WG.--correction, that was wahoo.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~

Last edited by dapjwy; 10-13-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Adding correction
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Just because it's October . . . possibly my favorite month.
Attached Thumbnails
~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-october-morning.jpg   ~October 2013 POM Entry Thread~-october-field.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #20
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Beautiful shots, linrose! They are from your property, right?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, entry, october, pom, thread