Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Photo of the Month (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/)
-   -   ~August 2013 POM Winner~ (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/11997-august-2013-pom-winner.html)

Sage 09-08-2013 03:17 PM

~August 2013 POM Winner~

3 Attachment(s)
:cheer Congratulations to Dappy for his crab spider catching a wasp! No, a fly!

Attachment 38224 Attachment 38225

I chose the first shot but posted them both showing the action.

Dap, please let MILTA know where to send your prize honey! :)

And Wildwatcher has the runner-up spot with this great mushroom shot!

Attachment 38226

:cheer

MrILoveTheAnts 09-08-2013 03:24 PM

Actually the spider caught a fly. Members of the Physocephala genus mimic wasps.

Sage 09-08-2013 04:10 PM

Thank you!
:::will I never learn?:::
;)

kchd 09-08-2013 06:31 PM

Congrats to you both, dap and ww!! Both of you had outstanding photos!

dapjwy 09-08-2013 08:15 PM

First I want to say thank you...and second I want to say that I was shocked to find out that I won--MrILoveTheAnts sent me a PM, so I opened that first. I hadn't even seen which photo won. I told Jeff, and he guessed right. This is my sweetest win to date! ;) Yum...my mouth is already watering.

Congratulations, ww...I'm feeling kind of bad that I get the honey...I had already decided what to say if I got runner up (which I thought I might): "Can I at least get a spoonful?" If you were coming out our way for the meet-up, I'd make sure you'd get a taste.

dapjwy 09-08-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrILoveTheAnts (Post 138081)
Actually the spider caught a fly. Members of the Physocephala genus mimic wasps.

Thank you for pointing that out. Last year, I was getting pretty good at recognizing bee-mimicking flies...maybe the action shot threw me on this one.

dapjwy 09-08-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage (Post 138082)
:::will I never learn?:::
;)

Well, I learned...and then, apparently forgot what I'd learned. So, there is hope for you to do the same. ;)

dapjwy 09-08-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchd (Post 138084)
Congrats to you both, dap and ww!! Both of you had outstanding photos!

Thank you, kchd.

I actually had your saddleback caterpillar photo pegged as one of the likely winners. Yours were quite outstanding as well.

dapjwy 09-08-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage (Post 138080)
I chose the first shot but posted them both showing the action.

Honestly, looking back over the competition, I have no idea how you ever make a choice. There were so many excellent photos. What a great bunch of photographers we have here on WG.

I'm glad that you picked the first one, because that was the one I chose first to enter...but when I needed a 5th, I thought I'd better go with more of a close-up.

kchd 09-08-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 138089)
Thank you, kchd.

I actually had your saddleback caterpillar photo pegged as one of the likely winners. Yours were quite outstanding as well.

It was some seriously stiff competition in August!!
I think the honey was drawing flies... (snicker)