Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

camera5 ~July 2013 POM Entry Thread~

This is the place to enter FIVE of your best shots taken in July! We are really into summer now! Show us what you are seeing in your neck of the woods!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Let’s try relaxing the POM rules for July-
For July; contest entries may be processed to achieve a more perfect and presentable photo by correcting the exposure, cropping, straightening, sharpening or subtle enhancing. Photos will not be disqualified unless they are judged to be altered beyond a reasonable point, such as the use of extreme filters found on Instagram and numerous other apps or programs for artistic effects. We recognize it is rare to have perfect conditions in nature! Give us your best shot!

"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Sounds good to me...cropping, exposure adjustments, and such were done by photographers who developed their own film. I remember being taught such techniques in the one photography class I took. I think Sage has always been okay with minor adjustments.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Sounds good to me too but.... I have to admit I've been cropping all along... was I not supposed to be doing that? I don't know how to straighten or sharpen but I've got a button that lightens or darkens that I've been using too. I think I better go run and hide now since maybe I shouldn't have been doing that either!!!
--
Hey!!! Can we have free moths this month>>>>? I liked the free frogs last month even though I didn't get any photos of any.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Sounds good to me too but.... I have to admit I've been cropping all along... was I not supposed to be doing that? I don't know how to straighten or sharpen but I've got a button that lightens or darkens that I've been using too. I think I better go run and hide now since maybe I shouldn't have been doing that either!!!
--
Hey!!! Can we have free moths this month>>>>? I liked the free frogs last month even though I didn't get any photos of any.
I've been cropping too...I've made no secret about that. As for lightening or darkening, I'm almost sure ever since Sage took over, minor adjustments like these were allowed and even welcomed. So, I'll either join you in hiding or shout, "Olly, Olly oxen free!!!"
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Hmmmm..... I'm thinking it's gonna get real crowded real fast if everyone cropping and lightening and darkening using an exposure button has to run off and hide!!! No filters or anything like that for me because I don't know what they are. I do have a few more buttons that I've tried but they turn the photos into black and white and line drawing cartoons mostly. Are those buttons filters? Just curious.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #7

I'm sorting through the last couple of days of photos, and I thought I'd start us off with this:

~July 2013 POM Entry Thread~-dsc01992-panorama.jpg

It just seems like July to me. Not a native to the East Coast, but the sunflowers did make their way east once the pioneers cleared a way for them. I tried planting tons of black-oil sunflower seeds this year, but not too many made it to maturity...what with the deer eating them down and all.

By the way, this was obviously cropped.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Good idea, FREE MOTHS THIS MONTH!

Buttons usually are essentially filters of some sort, but if they are automatic changes without offering you a way to control them, they can be scary! Like PicAsa has automatic exposure button, but it has sliders to let you adjust the result.

Btw, I'm still away staying with my son, visiting with rest of family and without the laptop so I haven't judged June yet, but soon, so please hang on! We're leaving in the morning! Did stop at Trader Joes today and got some good stuff to tide us over til our new one opens this fall I think!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Heron

Pawpaw with Enchanters Nightshade
Attached Thumbnails
~July 2013 POM Entry Thread~-dsc03580.jpg  
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
Heron

Bee Drinking Water.

Was on my window drinking water from a water bubble it had on its body.
Attached Thumbnails
~July 2013 POM Entry Thread~-dsc03620.jpg  
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, entry, july, pom, thread