Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

camera5 ~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~

For some of you, there are sure signs of spring, even bugs and butterflies! For others, remains of snow and even storms hinder us from seeing green. Birds are beginning their migrations and you may see these migrants at your bird feeders, or sizing up your bird houses.
Show us what March looks like in your neck of the woods!

Photos must be taken in March, limit is five, and you have until April 5th to post March photos. Good Luck!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

For those who are new to the forum, the photos can be from March of any year. (Unless the rules have been changed. )
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
Fox

pawprint POM march 2013

I think I'll enter some of my favorites from 2012.

Pix 050 Wild Geranium maculatum, these set lots of seed last year.

Pix 049 Woods Sorrel this one found in in upland clay gravel.

Pix 048 Rue Anenome is petite & pretty.

Pix 047 Unknown, grows from heavy black root ~identity help would make me happy~ have no clue what the flower would look like.

Pix 061 is another example of this plant

ww
Attached Thumbnails
~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-springb2012-050.jpg   ~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-springb2012-049.jpg   ~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-springb2012-048.jpg   ~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-springb2012-047.jpg   ~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-springb2012-061.jpg  

wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

I am ready for spring, and your photos sure give me a preview! Thanks.

I have wild geranium...and, hopefully still have rue anemone...but no wood sorrel--great find.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Fox

pawprint gearing up to find these again, this year!

Hey dapjwy, heck ya I'm getting ready today, lots of sunshine & clouds too, but last year 2012 was the year of our great drought, so...all this stuff came up early by I would say nearly a month! This year 2013, I have seen a few hepantica obtusa bloom, but not even the violas are just now barely breaking ground, few fiddle heads as of today, but I would think the ferns only need another week to get with it. Right now 2013, the Mayapples have their shoots just peaking out of the dirt, swollen and should start shooting stems soon.

Pix 051 Mayapple Podophyllum Peltatum this example shows the single flower bud between the two leaves, the white bloom is large & pretty with an awful fragrance! This plant won't bloom early enough for the March POM, so all ya get is the bud

Pix 054 Unknown ~any help with identification of this unique forb would be much appreciated, hope to see it again this year!~ the thick stem and funny top intrigued me on this guy.

Pix 056 Unknown, but may be related/part of the Black Cohosh, that grows right next too it. Kind of prehistoric scary looking thing

Pix 057 a different shot of the same type plant....

weird game huh!

ww
Attached Thumbnails
~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-springb2012-051.jpg   ~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-springb2012-054.jpg   ~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-springb2012-056.jpg   ~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-springb2012-057.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #6

You are way ahead of us...but you've really got me thinking. I love the mayapple. I'm wondering how long it will take my single plants to form a colony.

I plan at least one section where they will be growing above a path so I van look up at the flower...or see it at eye level.

Mmm...Hepatica, that is another beauty, one I don't have yet....and another good one to position on a slope to be seen at eye level without having to bend.

...sorry I'm no help for IDing your unknown.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
Fox

Default Last year blew me away

Pix 044 I like this for the contrast the twisted old vine lends to the fresh blues.

Pix 039 Yellow viola, bloom slightly later than the blue ones, and slightly before the white ones

Pix 067 I know I'm not the only one that looks forward to finding all sorts of things living in the mosses

ww
Attached Thumbnails
~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-springb2012-044.jpg   ~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-springb2012-039.jpg   ~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-springb2012-067.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Fox

pawprint Mayapple root can be up to 4' long!

Well dapjwy, these Mayapple are in the bottom of ravine, deep shade, consistently moist, rich dirt, high calcium, with or without gravel. But I like your idea of 'eye level' for the bloom, heck I have to get IN THE CREEK BED to get that vantage point. As for 'time to colonize', sow alot of seed or transplant some roots, a good time to transplant might be soon after the top of the plant died back, don't let the roots dry out (put some wet moss & dirt in your collection bucket and transplant that day) and you can't go wrong!

I do know this, that the youngest plants do not bloom, only a fully mature plant will have (2) leaves with a bloom. That having been said, I would also say that the seed pod has alot of seed within it, even tho it only has (1) fruit per year.

One plant to make a colony....mmmmmmmmm maybe you can find some more, but I'm the impatient kind of guy, especially if I know where to find more. I don't know how long it takes, I think the key is plant in mass, remember: until the plant matures to (2) leaves will it even be able to flower, this might take 4 years ~I'm guessing~.

Did I answer your question?

ww
Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

WW, those are all beautiful photos! You are going to need to narrow down your entries though. I believe we are only allowed five per month.

I am jealous of your mayapples. I am trying to get some established on my property, but it is a little too dry for them. Box turtles like to eat the fruit, which I think is an awesome reason to plant them!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
Pix 044 I like this for the contrast the twisted old vine lends to the fresh blues.

Pix 039 Yellow viola, bloom slightly later than the blue ones, and slightly before the white ones...

ww
I like the twisted tendrils of the old vine too.

I haven't seen yellow violets in a while. I'd forgotten (or never noticed) their blooming times...thanks for sharing that observation.

Tags
2013, camera, contest, enter, entry, free contest, march, month, open, photo, photo contest, photo entries, photograph, photographer, photography contest, photos, pictures, pom, potm, thread