Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #41
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Do you still have some photos taken in March? You can enter them through Friday, April 5th!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #42
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I don't know either, but I'd like to assume that, if I find it at a native plant sale, it would be the native one.
If you are going to add something, I'd suggest the false nettles since you are not into pain. I was telling you about the native stinging nettles so you are not yanking out something that might be native.

Quote:
I'm assuming it also acts as a host plant, right?
AFAIK, any Urtica dioica will do nicely for RAs and QMs. My fav nettle eater is Milbert's tortoiseshell but I've never gotten one in central Ohio, just up in the Toledo area when I lived there. Commas are another one I get here. I've read that all of them will eat Boehmeria cylindrica too. YMMV
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #43
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Clark View Post
If you are going to add something, I'd suggest the false nettles since you are not into pain. I was telling you about the native stinging nettles so you are not yanking out something that might be native.[/SIZE]
KC, thank you for your persistence...I now get your point.

I'd like to blame my missing it the first time on it being past my bedtime, but the fact is I didn't look up the botanical name you mentioned...perhaps I was too tired.

I didn't realize that stinging nettles (Urtica dioica) was native...that makes a big difference in my mind. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to keep it away from my paths, yet still let it flourish in more out of the way sections. Yay! One less "weed" to eradicate. However, from what I just read, they are fairly aggressive, so, I may still have to deal with keeping them from recolonizing near my paths.

Thank you for adding to my knowledge base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Clark View Post
AFAIK, any Urtica dioica will do nicely for RAs and QMs. My fav nettle eater is Milbert's tortoiseshell but I've never gotten one in central Ohio, just up in the Toledo area when I lived there. Commas are another one I get here. I've read that all of them will eat Boehmeria cylindrica too. YMMV
Okay...I've figured out what "AFAIK", "RAs", and "YMMV" mean...but I don't know what "QMs" are (I don't know my butterfly species very well). Care to educate me further?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #44
Salamander

Quote:
Okay...I've figured out what "AFAIK", "RAs", and "YMMV" mean...but I don't know what "QMs" are (I don't know my butterfly species very well). Care to educate me further?
QM = question mark
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #45

Thanks...to steal--I mean borrow--another member's comment: "They're all question marks to me." (Well, many of them are to me anyway.)

I do confuse Commas and Question Marks.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto

Last edited by dapjwy; 04-02-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Fixing grammar
Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #46
Fox

I have been told that one of my garter snakes of spring pics belong here, and I chose this one for its composition and clarity. I hope you enjoy it.

~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-snakes-022c.jpg
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #47
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

that is a great snakey pic, bulu!

From Kitty Hawk and Pea Island, NC's Outer Banks...

A blue-grey gnatcatcher with a "angry unibrow" as described in the guide...~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-blue-grey-gnatcatcher-angry-unibrow.jpg

A female boat-tailed grackle, catching the sun's rays on the roof at sunset.
~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-grackle-female-boat-tailed-roof-arabella-best.jpg

The seldom seen ghost of nutria, haunting the marsh at Corolla, gliding half seen through the marsh grass...
~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-nutria-2-corolla-marsh.jpg

And from my house, my winter birds are still there, a pair of nuthatches.
~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-redbreasted-nuthatch-twig.jpg ~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-brown-headed-nuthatch-best.jpg

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
I have been told that one of my garter snakes of spring pics belong here, and I chose this one for its composition and clarity. I hope you enjoy it.

Attachment 35887
That's the one I'd have picked too.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #49

Turttle, "angry unibrow"-- I love it; perfect description.

I'm more familiar with male boat-tailed grackles...thanks for showing an attractive picture of a female.

...also, I love your nuthatches...especially the brown-headed one I never get to see. Are nuthatches only winter birds for you? I think they are year-round residents here, but now you've got me wondering.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #50
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

The white breasted and brown headed nuthatches are year round residents of NC; the red breasted is a winter migrant. However, while I see the white breasted coming to my feeders all year round, I never see the brown headed except in the winter. I don't know if they leave my property or just have plenty of other food. However, I have one really cheeky, persistent one this spring so we will see if he actually leaves or decides he likes the free meals!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, camera, contest, enter, entry, free contest, march, month, open, photo, photo contest, photo entries, photograph, photographer, photography contest, photos, pictures, pom, potm, thread