Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Another 8 inches and counting....

Will it ever end?
Poor you.

It better. We've had a few small storms, but nothing like you are getting. I'm ready for spring. March is coming to an end, I'd expect temperatures above lows in the 20s and highs in the 30s!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #32
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Inside out....
~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-p1050467.jpg
Reflecting over a fresh cup of coffee.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Inside out....
Attachment 35821
Reflecting over a fresh cup of coffee.
Very clever. ~smile~

Nice.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
Fox

pawprint another without a name

One last entry from me for the march 2013 POM. A pretty little yellow flower. Once again ID help would be helpful, I'm pretty sure the green leaf just above the bloom belongs to the plant. My entries up to this point are (3) pix in post #7, (1) pix from post #20, and this one post #34.

ww
Attached Thumbnails
~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-march-b-2013-021.jpg  
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
A pretty little yellow flower. Once again ID help would be helpful, I'm pretty sure the green leaf just above the bloom belongs to the plant.
A sweet and simple flower, ww.

It looks to me like it is a buttercup of some kind, but I'm not sure. Looking at just the thumbnail, I was expecting to see marsh marigold...something I hope to see blooming here before too long...alas, no leaves have even emerged yet, so I continue to wait.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #36
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Buttercup was my guess as well.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #37
Salamander

Here is my Kodak Moment. One of my favorite things to see this time of year is my stinging nettles coming up. And since today is Easter, I got a shot of my stinging nettles next to the concrete one-eared bunny that I inherited when I bought my current house (the stinging nettles also came with the house).
Attached Thumbnails
~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-img_7768.jpg  

The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

George Carlin
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Clark View Post
Here is my Kodak Moment. One of my favorite things to see this time of year is my stinging nettles coming up. And since today is Easter, I got a shot of my stinging nettles next to the concrete one-eared bunny that I inherited when I bought my current house (the stinging nettles also came with the house).
Your photo and story made me mile. I'm glad you mentioned it was a one eared rabbit, or I might've puzzled over that object for a bit. . I saw it perfectly clearly up to its neck in leaves.

As for stinging nettles, if got them too...I've wanted to eradicate them, but I know they are a host plant and lat year I had tons of caterpillars on them. They are non-native and can be a real pain (literally), so I'd like to replace them with a native that is also a host to the same butterfly (red admirals?). I think there is something called false nettle that is native and doesn't sting when one inevitably brushes up against them. I'd have to do some research on this. In the meantime, I weeded out a bit (with gloves on) and put them in a pot with some soil. I plan to grow a bunch in pots, maybe closer to the house where I can watch the process from adult to larvae to adult again. This way, until I find a native host, I'll be supporting the species, but making for a quick way to rid my yard of these stingers when the time comes. At least that is the plan I came up with this week.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #39
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
As for stinging nettles, if got them too...I've wanted to eradicate them, but I know they are a host plant and lat year I had tons of caterpillars on them. They are non-native
There are 2 subspecies of Urtica dioica that are native to the US. Urtica dioica gracilis is native to most of the US, including PA. How you tell it from the subspecies from other continents is something I don't know.
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Clark View Post
There are 2 subspecies of Urtica dioica that are native to the US. Urtica dioica gracilis is native to most of the US, including PA. How you tell it from the subspecies from other continents is something I don't know.
Thank you, KC.

I don't know either, but I'd like to assume that, if I find it at a native plant sale, it would be the native one.

I'm assuming it also acts as a host plant, right?

Tags
2013, camera, contest, enter, entry, free contest, march, month, open, photo, photo contest, photo entries, photograph, photographer, photography contest, photos, pictures, pom, potm, thread