Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
... I like your idea of 'eye level' for the bloom, heck I have to get IN THE CREEK BED to get that vantage point. ...

I do know this, that the youngest plants do not bloom, only a fully mature plant will have (2) leaves with a bloom. That having been said, I would also say that the seed pod has alot of seed within it, even tho it only has (1) fruit per year.

...I think the key is plant in mass, remember: until the plant matures to (2) leaves will it even be able to flower, this might take 4 years ~I'm guessing~.
I'm glad you like the idea. I came up with it in my younger years when I used to visit a local park filled with woodland wildflowers...the paths were sometimes bordered by a slope or a cliff. There were times I had to take two or three steps up a slope to look up at some hepatica growing on a rocky outcropping above. Other times the hillside dropped off nearly at eye level. From then on I used to plan how i would plant my future property--a property that didn't become a reality for at least 20 more years.

Luckily our property has a natural terrace and a sloping hillside beyond that which should provide appropriate places to plant.

So far I have two single mayapples planted in two different spots closer to the house. Neither is on a slope...but, once those other areas are prepared, I'd like to grow some there.

I may even get a bloom this year...as far as I know they've grown beyond the one leaf stage. Hopefully, they'll start sending out shoots. Collecting and growing them from seed would be a new adventure for me...I bet they take a long time to reach maturity from seed, but I'd enjoy the process, expand my colonies, and maintain more genetic diversity than by cloning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post

I am jealous of your mayapples. I am trying to get some established on my property, but it is a little too dry for them. Box turtles like to eat the fruit, which I think is an awesome reason to plant them!
I did not know about the box turtles eating the fruit...another great reason to plant them. ....hmmm I wonder if we have any box turtles around?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #12
Fox

ohhhhh, ohhhhhhh oops!, guess I got alittle carried away flooding the pixs. Ok Sage I only enter the 3 pix from post #7 for the POM. Thanks turttle for the photo compliment, and getting me squared away.

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
ohhhhh, ohhhhhhh oops!, guess I got alittle carried away flooding the pixs.
We enjoy looking at photos; feel free to post them elsewhere. If there sent already a thread for it, create your own.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
Heron

While wandering around the house, checking out the local phenology, my DH and I discovered this newly emerged Great purple hairstreak.
Attached Thumbnails
~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-atlides_halesus-1000x778-.jpg  
Old 03-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
While wandering around the house, checking out the local phenology, my DH and I discovered this newly emerged Great purple hairstreak.
Beautiful!

I just noticed that you are in Mississippi--that explains how you are getting butterflies when spring is barely breaking through winter's hold here in Northeastern PA. Did you just add that?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Beautiful!

I just noticed that you are in Mississippi--that explains how you are getting butterflies when spring is barely breaking through winter's hold here in Northeastern PA. Did you just add that?
Thank you, dap!

Actually, the MS info has always been there. That's just your stellar observational skills kicking in. Kinda like my stellar obs. skills resulting in me posting fish videos in bird threads!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Thank you, dap!

Actually, the MS info has always been there. That's just your stellar observational skills kicking in. Kinda like my stellar obs. skills resulting in me posting fish videos in bird threads!
I always think I'm observant...then I find out I'm usually not.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #18
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I always think I'm observant...then I find out I'm usually not.
It's ok, dap. You and I are in the same boat
Or maybe it's just because we are so intent on some things, that we miss a few other things!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Or maybe it's just because we are so intent on some things, that we miss a few other things!
I like that theory! ...and I think there is some truth to it.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #20
Fox

pawprint just another little butterfly

I found this guy hangin out on some damp sawdust. I don't know what it is, but I see them around here every year.

ww
Attached Thumbnails
~MARCH 2013 Photo of the Month Entry Thread~-march2013-060.jpg  
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, camera, contest, enter, entry, free contest, march, month, open, photo, photo contest, photo entries, photograph, photographer, photography contest, photos, pictures, pom, potm, thread