Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I was thinking that I wouldn't have anything to offer in the birds of prey arena...then I remember the bald eagle I saw and captured "on film".

I've also been hearing the cry of a retailed hawk again lately--thanks to a comment from bridget1964 a while back, I've learned to recognize the call.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #22
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Ok, great! Anyone else who would likely enter, please let us know here! If the response shows enough interest we could start a Winter Raptor Contest.

Like havalotta mentioned, maybe a 3-month Raptor Contest Jan through March? Possibly a follow-up with Apr through June which is the time you're likely to see chicks and fledging! Should we start now so your recent pix are eligible?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Ok, great! Anyone else who would likely enter, please let us know here! If the response shows enough interest we could start a Winter Raptor Contest.

Like havalotta mentioned, maybe a 3-month Raptor Contest Jan through March? Possibly a follow-up with Apr through June which is the time you're likely to see chicks and fledging! Should we start now so your recent pix are eligible?
Doesn't matter to me I have no recent raptor pics yet so I leave it up to the discretion of our wonderful Mods.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #24
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post

Really doesn't matter when it's started just mention photos taken any time between December and March of any year would be eligible or something of the sort.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Really doesn't matter when it's started just mention photos taken any time between December and March of any year would be eligible or something of the sort.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but if not for my eagle sighting, I'd have no raptors to contribute. Do you think limiting the months they were taken is really a good idea?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #26
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

That brings up a good point, dap. I think contests here should not exceed 90 days, preferring 30 days myself, just to be fair and manageable.

So, we could have a Raptor thread for those occasional pix, or hold a contest and hope more folks get involved. I had contests here before that not many people entered. What do you think is best here?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #27

If it's not limited to taking photos of birds of prey from a..... from now on point of view you'd probably pull more from let's say....
people who already have photos of them. It's kind of hard to say "Lets go out and get us a shot of a hawk so we' can enter the contest".
It's not like they are there for the taking ready and available like florals, bees or such.

My view on the length of contests seem to follows along with Sage's.
One to three months max....One for easy subject matter, more for challenging or more diverse types of items then move on to a new and different challenge. It make things more interesting rotating from one to the next. New kindling keeps the fire going.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #28

Back to Contributing Prizes for ~POM Winners~

We're already....Making a list, checking it twice to make sure all prizes (so far offered) will be selected and issued as their proper time frame nears.

No need to let the season influence your donations.
If you've an item that appears "like new" that you'd like to recycle that you might be considering on offering but are unsure of.
Post a photo of it and let us be the judge. Think........Would YOU be happy receiving a prize like this? If so, it is more than likely worthy.
Cracked, worn beyond minor edge wear and tear or missing parts......Not!

Have fun in the search and I'm looking forward to seeing what donations, Books, videos, magazine subscriptions, re-gifted, recycled or any suggestions YOU may have in mind for W.G.....Have a GREAT Holiday season!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #29
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I was thinking that I wouldn't have anything to offer in the birds of prey arena...then I remember the bald eagle I saw and captured "on film".

I've also been hearing the cry of a retailed hawk again lately--thanks to a comment from bridget1964 a while back, I've learned to recognize the call.
A "retailed" hawk???? Is that one you bought at the store?

I am willing to try for a shot of the red-shouldered hawk that hangs out in my yard periodically in the winter, but I don't have a good enough camera to get a decent photo of one in flight.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
A "retailed" hawk???? Is that one you bought at the store?

I am willing to try for a shot of the red-shouldered hawk that hangs out in my yard periodically in the winter, but I don't have a good enough camera to get a decent photo of one in flight.
LOL! Damn auto-text on the iPad!

I typed red-tailed, I swear! ~blush~

(I won't even go back to edit it now.)

Tags
contest, contests, contribute, contributions, donate, donations, members, photo of the month, photographs, photography, pom, prize, prizes, win, winner, winners