Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
1st photo is TOTALLY cute!!!
--
Ya.... it's been sorta sparse. I think the holidays do us all in and then we've got quite a few hunters so that means folk aren't online as much as they usually are.
November is a hard month to get psyched to take photos. The pretty leaves are gone, and the pretty snow isn't here yet. Everything is stark and dreary in much of the country, and I imagine between the election and hunting season, folks were busy.

There are still five more days to get out there with your cameras, though!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
Official Plant Nerd

It's a "tween" month for sure. It's not without opportunity though. It's a great time to spot woody invaders.... they're out of sync with the natives that already dropped their leaves. That adaptive advantage of resource hogging by leafing out earlier and hanging on to their leaves longer in fall is their downfall around here. I pegged a decent sized Norway Maple sapling I'd totally missed.... a few more burning bushes, quite a few buckthorns and bush honeysuckles and a handful of Siberian dogwoods so I'm a happy camper we get at least 1 month where ickies stand out like sore thumbs.
--
Here's 3 photos I took yesterday at Kankakee River State Park. I particularly like the last photo.
Attached Thumbnails
~NOVEMBER 2012 Photo of the Month Entry thread~-img_2048.jpg   ~NOVEMBER 2012 Photo of the Month Entry thread~-img_2049.jpg   ~NOVEMBER 2012 Photo of the Month Entry thread~-img_2061.jpg  
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Lib, is the third one a funnel spider web?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #24
Official Plant Nerd

Yes!!! I'm pretty sure it is... which 1 is beyond me though. The spiders were long gone. Guess what>>>? I found a button in my Kodak Easyshare that darkens and lightens photos.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #25
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
It's a great time to spot woody invaders.... they're out of sync with the natives that already dropped their leaves. That adaptive advantage of resource hogging by leafing out earlier and hanging on to their leaves longer in fall is their downfall around here. I pegged a decent sized Norway Maple sapling I'd totally missed.... a few more burning bushes, quite a few buckthorns and bush honeysuckles and a handful of Siberian dogwoods so I'm a happy camper we get at least 1 month where ickies stand out like a sore thumb.
That is great advice. Perhaps you should add that to the tips and techniques thread, Tips & Techniques

Quote:
Here's 3 photos I took yesterday at Kankakee River State Park. I particularly like the last photo.
Great shots...but the first one is so impressive--very cool!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #26
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Yes!!! I'm pretty sure it is... which 1 is beyond me though. The spiders were long gone. Guess what>>>? I found a button in my Kodak Easyshare that darkens and lightens photos.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #27

So 'Lib has a good point about spotting invaders. I have a question. I have a young tree that is clearly in the willow family, but hasn't flowered yet and I have been unable to match it to any species in my tree book (which may mean it is invasive, though I can't find it there either). It still has its leaves, and stands out like a sore thumb.

Are there any invasive willows, in the mid-Atlantic area, not including weeping willows which this clearly is not!

And, I love the funnel web shot, too, 'Lib! It must have been one helluva spider!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Equilibrium-

Sage needs time off. You are judging her contest this month.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #29
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
So 'Lib has a good point about spotting invaders. I have a question. I have a young tree that is clearly in the willow family, but hasn't flowered yet and I have been unable to match it to any species in my tree book (which may mean it is invasive, though I can't find it there either). It still has its leaves, and stands out like a sore thumb.

Are there any invasive willows, in the mid-Atlantic area, not including weeping willows which this clearly is not!

And, I love the funnel web shot, too, 'Lib! It must have been one helluva spider!
Using the USDA database list, these are the most likely suspects:
Salix alba - white willow
Salix caprea - goat willow
Salix cinerea - large gray willow
Salix fragilis - crack willow
Salix matsudana Koidzumi - corkscrew willow
Salix ×pendulina Wender. [fragilis × ?sepulcralis] - Wisconsin weeping willow (I do take umbridge at someone naming this non-native plant Wisconsin weeping willow )
Salix pentandra - laurel willow
Salix purpurea - purpleosier willow
Salix ×rubens Schrank (pro sp.) [alba × fragilis] - hybrid crack willow
Salix ×sepulcralis Simonkai [alba × ?pendulina] - weeping willow
Salix viminalis - basket willow

All are non-native and all have been documented in NC.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #30

Thanks, NEWisc. I looked at all the species you have listed, and still can't conclusively identify mine. I can rule out about half, which is helpful, but I need to wait for catkins. The leaves look most like a crack willow, which is European, or a laurel willow, which is NA. I will have to see if the twigs "crack" - I don't remember them doing so, so I am hopeful it isn't that one!

Tags
2012, entry, month, november, photo, thread