Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Oooooh! Nice fritillary, Viceroy.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
Ok here are a few of mine for this month.
Aww...how cute! ...and great macro shot, too.

At first I was wondering how you had so much in bloom this time of year, then I noticed ( and remembered) you are in Kissimmee, Florida. That explains a lot.

By the way, I don't even where long johns most winters...if any, but if you get up to PA to see the spring ephemerals and have to wear them, I won't say a thing. I guess it is all what you are used to...and remember the body adapts.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
1st Place Winner DIY Catchall Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Oooooh! Nice fritillary, Viceroy.
Thanks Turtle, with the cooler weather they make easy pickings for morning shots.
Viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Aww...how cute! ...and great macro shot, too.

At first I was wondering how you had so much in bloom this time of year, then I noticed ( and remembered) you are in Kissimmee, Florida. That explains a lot.

By the way, I don't even where long johns most winters...if any, but if you get up to PA to see the spring ephemerals and have to wear them, I won't say a thing. I guess it is all what you are used to...and remember the body adapts.
Thanks Dap,yes the garden is still going strong and likely will until the first hard frost. My blood has thinned quite a bit in my old age, 55 degrees this morning sent chills up my spine.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #15

Quote:
...the cooler weather they make easy pickings for morning shots.
I hadn't quite thought of that...good tip.

I've been going out when it is sunny and warmer as that is when I see the activity...when it is colder, I rarely see anything except, perhaps, a sluggish bumblebee clinging to the underside of a flower. I'll have to learn to time things just right.

Quote:
Thanks Dap,yes the garden is still going strong and likely will until the first hard frost. My blood has thinned quite a bit in my old age, 55 degrees this morning sent chills up my spine.
Cool...you can really enjoy (what I consider) an extended bloom time.

Trust me, the flowers are worth a chilled spine. ...and if you are walking the trail that will warm you up some too. Try for a day that is in the 60s.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #16

[QUOTE=dapjwy;122828]I hadn't quite thought of that...good tip.

I've been going out when it is sunny and warmer as that is when I see the activity...when it is colder, I rarely see anything except, perhaps, a sluggish bumblebee clinging to the underside of a flower. I'll have to learn to time things just right.

Dap, I do a walk in the evenings to get an Idea where they are roosting. In the morning they will be in the same general area. Many butterflies come back to the same spot to roost nightly. For instance my hairstreaks roost in the bamboo every night, yes I have some from a rookie mistake years ago, but it is actually used by many butterflies for shelter.In the evenings you can see dozens fluttering around it jockeying for the best spots.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #17
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

~October POM now Open~-8094874137_4594c0d310_b.jpg
Yikes! I think I figured out how to upload a pic from the iPad , at least if it's on Flickr first! . And no, it's not an entry, I just couldn't find the right thread!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Attachment 33305
Yikes! I think I figured out how to upload a pic from the iPad , at least if it's on Flickr first! . And no, it's not an entry, I just couldn't find the right thread!
Congrats on your upload!

The wind in the leaves almost seem to have been made by an artist's brushstroke.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Not many entries yet for this late in the month. Here are a few of the colors of fall in NC...
Attached Thumbnails
~October POM now Open~-colors-fall-dogwood-berries.jpg   ~October POM now Open~-sleepy-orange-tithonia-fall-colors-web.jpg   ~October POM now Open~-bee-metallic-blue-mistflower-side-view-2.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #20
Official Plant Nerd

Since pumpkins are free and I like FREEEEEEEEEE....
Attached Thumbnails
~October POM now Open~-img_0725.jpg   ~October POM now Open~-img_0726.jpg  

Tags
2012, camera, contest, enter, entry, free contest, month, october, open, photo, photo contest, photo entries, photograph, photographer, photography contest, photos, pictures, pom, potm, thread