Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
Administrator

You're late to your party. Congratulations.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #12
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Congrats on your excellent lucky shot, Lorax!
My dear Sage. I stalked that buffalo. I put my life on the line getting that photo for all of you. It was a cold day, -50 with temps dropping amidst blizzard conditions. I had barely enough outerwear to protect me from the elements yet I set off on my journey through the frozen tundra in pursuit of the ever so elusive Bison. And there, several miles uphill into the frozen tundra, I found my subject. I hid behind a large tree and peered out from behind it adjusting every setting my camera had to offer to be able to get just the right depth of field and f-stop while attaching it to a tripod. I took that photo just before he spotted me and charged. Round and round and round that tree I went with my subject breathing down my back clinging to the tripod with the camera that held the precious prize winning International Wildlife quality digital image while glancing backwards at his horrible tusks while the saliva dripped from his fangs. I knew that if I stopped running I would be gored then eaten alive. Finally he stopped to relieve himself. I seized the moment and escaped by running uphill several miles through the frozen tundra back to the safety of my vehicle. And there you have it, cross my heart and stick a needle in my eye.

Thank you everyone. My family is going to roll their eyes when I tell them a photo I took won something. I think I better print this thread and frame it. Nobody will believe me otherwise. Can any one photoshop my photo and get rid of the fence behind my Bison? Add some frozen tundra while you're at it too please.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #13
WG Writer

Hey! *I thought you took this picture on your SUMMER vacation. What's this with the frozen tundra?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #14
WG Facilitator

Wow - a great photographer and a great writer too!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #15
Too Wild To Garden

*cracking up!*
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #16
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
My dear Sage. I stalked that buffalo. I put my life on the line getting that photo for all of you. It was a cold day, -50 with temps dropping amidst blizzard conditions. I had barely enough outerwear to protect me from the elements yet I set off on my journey through the frozen tundra in pursuit of the ever so elusive Bison. And there, several miles uphill into the frozen tundra, I found my subject. I hid behind a large tree and peered out from behind it adjusting every setting my camera had to offer to be able to get just the right depth of field and f-stop while attaching it to a tripod. I took that photo just before he spotted me and charged. Round and round and round that tree I went with my subject breathing down my back clinging to the tripod with the camera that held the precious prize winning International Wildlife quality digital image while glancing backwards at his horrible tusks while the saliva dripped from his fangs. I knew that if I stopped running I would be gored then eaten alive. Finally he stopped to relieve himself. I seized the moment and escaped by running uphill several miles through the frozen tundra back to the safety of my vehicle. And there you have it, cross my heart and stick a needle in my eye.

Thank you everyone. My family is going to roll their eyes when I tell them a photo I took won something. I think I better print this thread and frame it. Nobody will believe me otherwise. Can any one photoshop my photo and get rid of the fence behind my Bison? Add some frozen tundra while you're at it too please.
Hahahahaha! And the going uphill in both directions!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #17
WG Ways and Means

The envelope please.......................

Lorax- you won the Douglas Tallamy book Bringing Nature Home. Send me your name and address and I'll have it shipped to you.

Greenie

Green Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #18
Unicellular Fungi

Ohhh Sage! I saved the whole web page so 30 years from now I can remind myself of the day when MY Bison knocked out YOUR Bambi.

No respectable tall tale would be complete without going uphill in both directions.

Thank you GreenMan. I already own that book. Figures. My 15 minutes of fame and glory blown out the window. It is a great book. Everyone should read it. You keep it and give it to this month's winner?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #19
WG Writer

Congratulations, Lorax and thanks for the blow by blow account of how you accomplished it!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #20
Big Fat juicy WORM

Congratulations Lorax, you did good!

Tags
2009, february, month, photo, tallamy, winner