Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Congratulations to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Upon the river stood two twists of grass. Below, the reflection of the blue blue sky upon it.
Wow, not only do you have "the Eye" as Sage puts it, but you are poetic as well.

Also, I notice that Kildale's hummingbird now graces my opening page of Wildlife Gardeners. Very nice. Sage, how did you add clarity to the slightly blurred original? (I have some ideas, but perhaps you have a better program than any I use.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

single eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Congratulations to all.

Wow, not only do you have "the Eye" as Sage puts it, but you are poetic as well.

Also, I notice that Kildale's hummingbird now graces my opening page of Wildlife Gardeners. Very nice. Sage, how did you add clarity to the slightly blurred original? (I have some ideas, but perhaps you have a better program than any I use.)
I just used Picasa which now has a couple pages of new features, very like some ipad photo apps. I don't really remember what I did to that photo, probably enhanced the contrast a bit, sharpened and cropped it. Very quick edit! Sometimes I slave for hours on my own photos in Photoshop, but generally don't have time for that, opting for the quick Picasa fixes. Or put something on the ipad and play with the apps there, but that's why the space is totally used up! Still have over 5,000 pix to delete. Waiting for my son to find a way or write a program for me to do that.

I think whatever program anyone uses, you must play with it til you feel familiar enough with it. They all generally do about the same things.

My favorite photo rules are the "Rule of Thirds" and the "Rule of Red".
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #13

Thanks, Sage...I'll look into Picasa's new options.

I've used sharpen in Adobe PS, but am rarely happy with the results. I guess I've done well playing around, because I can think of more than one way to (potentially) enhance a slightly blurry image...I was just very impressed with how good your enhancement looked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
My favorite photo rules are the "Rule of Thirds" and the "Rule of Red".
What is the rule of red?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #14

When doing sharpening, always do that last.

Rule of Red? If you see red, shoot it!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #15
WG Operations, Facilitator

trophy

Congrats everyone! Beautiful photos taken by all!

Gotta say my favorite tho....Oprah, the motherly chicken with her Kildeer eggs. It makes me smile everytime I think of Oprah sitting on them. So sweet. I'm so glad you posted that photo Equilibrium, because smiles are sort of rare for me these days.

Havalotta-
You are our resident nature photographer/poet. I enjoy every single one of your posts, because they always make me linger for a minutes more. Admiring the photograph while pondering your beautiful words of poetry. Sometimes it's nice to just be "lost in thought."

Kildale-
Congrats on making the home page with your gorgeous hummingbird photo! 'Tis a great honor to have one's photo displayed in such an important place on the WildlifeGardeners Forum! Wow!

Sage-
Thanks for the photo tips!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

Oprah sitting on her Kildeer eggs placed..... too funny. I thought I recognized that new home page photo!!! Way to go Kildale!!! It's an awesome photo!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Oprah sitting on her Kildeer eggs placed..... too funny. I thought I recognized that new home page photo!!! Way to go Kildale!!! It's an awesome photo!!!

It is a beautiful photo, Lib! ...wonderful story and a great composition as well...even the colors and clarity are great--an all around fantastic photograph.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

I crop really good!!! I can lighten up and make photos darker too!!! I'm happenin'!!! It was hard using 1 hand to lift up Oprah to expose the "goodies" while clicking with the other hand!!! It took me quite a few tries getting the eggs and Oprah in focus!!! The chicken coop doesn't have any electricity... no light except what comes in from the windows.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #19

You did a great job!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #20

Quote:
I crop really good!!! I can lighten up and make photos darker too!!! I'm happenin'!!!
Cropping is often necessary...and thanks to the programs available, fixing contrast and such is much easier than the tricks I was taught in the one photography I took at the Art Institute where we had to develop our own film.

Quote:
I It was hard using 1 hand to lift up Oprah to expose the "goodies" while clicking with the other hand!!! It took me quite a few tries getting the eggs and Oprah in focus!!!
Been there, done that...especially when trying to take a picture of the underside of a leaf to aid in identification...or of my hand holding up an uprooted invasive in triumph! If only my arms were longer (picture me dragging my knuckles on the ground ).

Tags
2012, camera, contest, entries, entry, insects, month, nature, photo, photo contest, photo entries, photo of the month, photographer, photographs, photography, pics, pictures, plants, pom, potm, winners