Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default This was the last coming out of my gardens

I pulled these out... I don't remember exactly when I did it but I finally got around to it. I was really happy with the 'Cheddar' cauliflower. It really had superb taste. The 'Amish Pie' pumpkins are in my garage.... I need to bake those and can em up 1 of these days. They aren't as orangy as they look in the photo. Those went through a light frost and it brought out color they don't have. The brussel sprouts were fantastic. I'll have to look up exactly which variety that was but they store well and taste really good too. All that's left out there are some carrots, potatoes, and some beets. I kept meaning to get to those potatoes. Never did quite get to em though.
Attached Thumbnails
This was the last coming out of my gardens-img_6965.jpg   This was the last coming out of my gardens-img_6968.jpg   This was the last coming out of my gardens-img_6970.jpg   This was the last coming out of my gardens-img_6971.jpg  
Old 11-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

You probably should prep the pumpkins real soon. They'll begin deteriorating from the frost damage.
I fried up a batch of my Brussels with bacon and onions for Thanksgiving.
They were really good instead of the traditional way of cooking them in salted water and topping them off with butter or shredded cheese.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
The Bug Whisperer

We still have carrots and beets (heavily mulched and covered so I can pull them throughout the winter; collards, kale, and turnip greens will stay until evening temps drop through the teens, and all potatoes were dug and clamped last month. Just finished shredding remaining leaves and spread them over the garden yesterday afternoon. Now to tackle the dead asparagus stalks that form the garden perimeter...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Looking good, Lib.

Yum, bacon... I gotta try that, Hava.

What do you do with the asparagus stalks, suunto?

...I just came in from raking leaves onto the last of my raised (vegetable) beds...and I harvested a kholrabi and ate it raw.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
What do you do with the asparagus stalks, suunto?
Chop them up into manageable pieces, then strew them over the garden to become one with the soil over the winter...

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 11-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Chop them up into manageable pieces, then strew them over the garden to become one with the soil over the winter...
I'm all for composting them, but I remember my dad always leaving them in place so he knew where to look for them come spring. So that is what I've been doing.

I think he was likely marking where they were so he didn't dig there when planting something else.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-29-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
The Bug Whisperer

I always leave a couple of inches of the stalks in place. Also, all the asparagus is in a single row that pretty much encircles the garden plot (~360 feet)...

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 11-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
I always leave a couple of inches of the stalks in place. Also, all the asparagus is in a single row that pretty much encircles the garden plot (~360 feet)...

Sounds good...maybe I'll try cutting them back but not down to the ground. I guess it would help if I planted them in a row...but I kind of like the non-symmetrical symmetry.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

As I have just stated in another post...
I'm still getting tomatoes from the three potted plants I had brought in previous to the frost. They don't look like much once the leaves fell off due to a LOT less sunshine. Can't say if they are even alive anymore in the 50 degree heated garage but they are still producing on their pitiful dry looking stems.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I'm still getting tomatoes from the three potted plants I had brought in...they are still producing on their pitiful dry looking stems.
Good for you.

I normally plant some peas in a pot and place them in the greenhouse. I didn't do that this year, and I miss them.

I did however, go out to harvest some parsley and pull up some garlic for a recipe that Jeff is making for dinner. This has me more determined than ever to have a full, working garden next year.

Tags
aspargus, beets, carrots, cauliflower, collards, coming, garden harvest, gardening, gardens, kale, organic, turnip greens, vegetable gardens, vegetables