Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default What I joined some raised veggie beds together with

Hedgerowe asked me in a thread somewhere that I can't find what I used to join some planks for raised veggie beds. I totally give up trying to find the thread where she asked but... I took a photo of what I've used for some of the beds that are like 4 x 10 or smaller. These can be bought at just about any home improvement store. I forgot what they're called though.
Attached Thumbnails
What I joined some raised veggie beds together with-img_5749.jpg  
Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Heron

They call them Joist Hangers, Also used in Decks. Most people use nails but I like using dry-wall screws.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Yes!!! That's what they were called.... joist hangers. We used them when we were building the chicken coop too. I like them for raised beds because I can elevate the sides of the bed above the ground by about 2". Should be great for drainage and it's not like the soil falls out the bottom because of compaction. I don't know what kind of nails I bought but I bought what the man told me he believed would work best. What he told me to use wasn't exactly a nail that you hammer in... I did have to screw them in. They could have been dry wall screws. I think I remember something about deck screw if that makes sense to you. They were really long what ever they were.

Tags
beds, boards, hardware, join, joined, joining, joist, joist hangers, nails, raised, raised beds, screws, veggie