Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default What's starting to come out of your veggie gardens?

These came out of my garden this morning. My 1st crookneck squash and more zucchini. This variety of zucchini is 'Aristocrat'. Looks like I'll have some patty pan 'Flying Saucer' squash and some 'Golden Dawn' yellow summer squash soon too.
Attached Thumbnails
What's starting to come out of your veggie gardens?-img_5721.jpg  
Old 08-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
A Bee's Best Friend

I love summer squash!
Just noticed your avatar...lol.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Ya... I love summer squash especially fresh tossed in salads instead of cukes and yaaaa..... I saw that new avatar and I don't know where it came from. I didn't put it there. I had a photo of Bertha there. Somebody messed with poor sweet BERTHA!!! Her feelings are gonna be so hurt that she got replaced by some dead dude walking with his hands out in front of him!!! Saaaaaaay.... I know crookneck's got a mild taste. Got any recipes that lend themself to using crookneck? I 'spose I should go online and poke around. I'm gonna have a lot more where that came from.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Great Horned Owl

I harvested and ate my first Black Prince Russian heirloom tomato the other day. It was superb, and I'll plant a number of that kind next year. It didn't look like your typical tomato though. When it got ripe it got almost black with a red overall tinge.

There are others ripening; I'll try to remember to post a picture of the next ripe one.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
A Bee's Best Friend

Favorite way to eat yellow summer squash is picked small, sliced and mixed with other summer squash then sauteed briefly until getting tender. Alone or over angel hair pasta.
My daughter likes them best cooked and mashed like potatoes,butter and a touch of cream, like my mother used to make for her when she was little. She swears I don't make it like her gramma. But my skinny little mother used butter and cream very freely where as I have to use with caution...lol

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

I started some I found online over here, Whose got some tasty crookneck squash recipes>>>?.
--
We've usually grilled crooknecks. I think when I had some puny ones left over from the store I diced em and tossed em in some pasta sauce and nobody complained so they're good added to sauces too. They'd probably be good in an alfredo sauce over noodles too.... bet your daughter would like that if she likes gramma's!! The lasagna recipe I found looks good and I'm liking it even more since it can be done on the grill.
--
jack> show me the goods baby!!! Show me the goods!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

My asparagus sent up a few late season spears!

Yum.
Attached Thumbnails
What's starting to come out of your veggie gardens?-079.jpg   What's starting to come out of your veggie gardens?-081.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

The asparagus never make it in the house. As fast as they come up... I eat them as yard snacks. I probably should plant more. I love devilled asparagus and I'd love asparagus on an English muffin smothered in cheese.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
The asparagus never make it in the house. As fast as they come up... I eat them as yard snacks. I probably should plant more. I love devilled asparagus and I'd love asparagus on an English muffin smothered in cheese.
As a kid, I learned to like asparagus by eating it raw. Back then I didn't like any cooked vegetables, I'd guess. I'm still more fond of raw veggies for the most part...but I've not tried raw asparagus for ages. I often eat mine just steamed, not butter, no cheese...but I saw the white sauce recipe decades ago on a cooking show, and I still make it that way sometimes--normally just on toast, but we had English muffins, so I thought I'd try that. Not bad.

I do eat peas raw straight from the pod--not crazy about them cooked.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
Great Horned Owl

I can't compete with the bounty shown by other gardeners here, but I do have one veggie that I'm going to show with a humble smile:
Attached Thumbnails
What's starting to come out of your veggie gardens?-dsc00726.jpg   What's starting to come out of your veggie gardens?-dsc00727.jpg  

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheese, cook, cooking, crookneck, eggplant, food, garden, gardening, gardens, onion, organic, organic gardening, recipes, squash, squash recipes, starting, summer squash, tomato, vegetable garden, veggie