Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #41
Official Plant Nerd

Big THANK YOUS to you 4B!!! I DID NOT KNOW I could toss tomatoes in the freezer for canning later without processing them 1st!!! That solves two major problems I've had.... knowing how to use a pressure canner and the time to can tomatoes right now even if I did know how.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #42
WG Operations, Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Big THANK YOUS to you 4B!!! I DID NOT KNOW I could toss tomatoes in the freezer for
canning later without processing them 1st!!!
Yes, it's very easy and works well. No loss of flavor either. The main reason I do this is because my peppers always ripen much later than my tomatoes. The shallots and garlic have been pulled and are drying. I like to use use shallots and garlic in my spaghetti sauce instead of onions. Freezing the mators give me time to make sure all of the ingredients from the garden are ready for sauce making, since not everything ripens at the same time.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #43
Official Plant Nerd

I did 15 more pounds today!!! I thought for sure at the very least we had to drop em in boiling water for a minute or so then into ice cold water to get the skins off. Biggie to me is NOT heating up my kitchen at this time of year. I'd much rather put that off until the furnaces are on.

Tags
cheese, cook, cooking, crookneck, eggplant, food, garden, gardening, gardens, onion, organic, organic gardening, recipes, squash, squash recipes, starting, summer squash, tomato, vegetable garden, veggie