Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #31
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
I just planted a batch of that stuff - excpet for the gourds. They're coming up everywhere!
Are they sprouting from seeds you tossed out last year or did you mean the ones you JUST planted.
Funny I'm not seeing any of the ones I fall planted outdoors sprouting. Bet it was due to no snow cover!!!!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #32
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Are any of you planning on inter-planting this year?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #33
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Are any of you planning on inter-planting this year?
I usually don't plan my vegetable garden that much...but I often put radishes in between things since they mature so quickly. I'm open for more suggestions as well. Lettuce should work too.

However, this year, I'm toying with the idea of following the square-foot gardening method.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #34
WG Facilitator

Alternated squash and melon plants down the midde of a wide bed. Scattered beet and carrot seeds down the sides of the rows.

Planted tomatoes and cucumbers on one side of a fence, staggered herbs and peppers on the other side, planted shallots between the tomatoes.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #35
Official Plant Nerd

I just found out I could plant Caraway with my strawberries. At least I think it was Caraway.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #36
Heron

Okay; I know I read this several times - and it may be here too;
BUTTTT onion and beans question here.

I have a couple of roll of onions and my family is eating them up fast - So I want to know can I plant beans back where the onions once where?

And the second roll of onions will continue to mature -- it that okay for a roll of onion to be four feet from the beans?
And why won't beans grow well around onions?
And onions and beans don't do well together -- "together" ??? Does that mean right together intermingled in the same roll (I hope) maybe the two interfere with each other's roots ?
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #37
Official Plant Nerd

There's a book out there called, 'Carrots Love Tomatoes' that I bought and read then loaned to somebody,
Amazon.com: Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening (9781580170277): Louise Riotte: Books. I read it all and there was a lot of anecdotal "science" and common sense info in it that someone newer to veggie gardening like me might not think of. I created a list for myself somewhere that I used a few months ago when mapping out where everything would go and I remember onions not liking beans OR peas and asparagus. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to why they don't like peas.... onions need a lot of sun and pea plants can get pretty big and bushy so if we planted them in the row next to onions.... they could shade out our onions and we'd end up with teeny tiny onions.... the size of pearl onions. The same thing would happen to our onions if we planted them in the shade of artichokes though. Why we shouldn't plant asparagus near onions is beyond me.... if I had my book... I'd look it up for you. I think I might know why we shouldn't plant onions next to beans though. Onions are heavy feeders. I side dress mine with rabbit poops like I side dress my corn. If I planted my onions smack dab next to any of my beans.... that probably wouldn't be an ideal location because the beans wouldn't develop all that well in the presence of the nitrogen.... the bean plants would use the nitrogen to produce more leaves instead of beans. I don't see any reason why we couldn't plant beans where we planted onions the previous year.... the onions would have used most of what the soil had to offer last growing season unless you amended yours with compost. I'd think it'd be fine planting onions 3-4' away from beans too but don't take my word for any of this.... I haven't been veggie gardening nearly as long as I've been growing fruit trees.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #38
Heron

Thanks Equil; For telling me what you know about this bean and onion stuff . I have been gardening for a long time Equil - and I did not know.

I think because I usually just plant beans and whatever happens - happens and I have always hoped not much would happen. I have seen years that ended with 200 quarts of beans!!!

This year we actually need beans. Parents are eating a lot of them - I besides I have a new gasket less pressure cooker and so now for once in my life - I really want some.

I better be careful what I ask for though -- beans can produce when they decide to produce - a lot. But I am glad 3 or 4 feet away you think they will be fine. Really I have run out of room in the upper garden -- unless it is in this old onion row. I can put some organic stuff down and till it in before I plant - no problem there.

Also thanks a lot for explaining other things to me I was very curious about. I plan on reading your links with great interest tonight. Lot to think on.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #39
Official Plant Nerd

I wouldn't have known if I hadn't picked up the book. I still think every garden is different so we're all gonna have different results.
--
Big congrats on the gasketless pressure canner. Which 1 did you buy? Don't forget to buy a jar of Vaseline.... you'll need that for your new canner.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #40
Heron

I bought one that holds seven quarts jars -- not a big tall one that holds (I forgot) 20 quarts.

Thanks for reminding me to oil it. That is what the instruction said, but I had forgotten, and it is going to be awhile before I use it. Second reminder is always nice.

Tags
companion, companion planting, gardening, gardens, grow, growth, inter-planting, plant, planting, soil, succession, succession planting, successioninterplanting, vegetable, vegetable garden, vegetable gardening, vegetables