Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Back to the home-front.
I think I should I create another thread for the results of the succession planting I'm toying with.
"Companion planting" (This thread) I'm thinking would be more about how plants BENEFIT or hinder one another.
Such as.... Drawing insects to or from one another, nutrients, lighting, vining aspects etc...
Succession is more like one form of plant taking over another as it is depleted.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Back to the home-front.
I think I should I create another thread for the results of the succession planting I'm toying with...
Go for it!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Depends on which bed as to how they're joined. I'll take some photos and show you later on. Mostly screws though except for this raised bed which used to be a sandbox.
--
dapjwy> "I thought about sharing what my garden looks like this year, but I'd be embarrassed to now." Don't be embarrassed!!! Post the photos so everyone can critique them. That's what I did and that's exactly how I avoided lots of mistakes. Anyone using raised beds already can point out at least some pitfalls. Get a bunch of folk commenting and you'll have a boatload of ideas you can use or discard. Going that route saved me a lot of headaches making common mistakes.
--
I'm in a time crunch getting out of here but here's more companion plantings. This one's 'Amish Pie' pumpkin and 'Strawberry' popcorn. They're in a 10' x 10' raised bed. I lost most of the popcorn corn in that windstorm because.... I forgot I'd planted more of it in the back of the house.... I was too focused on saving the other varieties of corn and by the time I remembered.... the roots that were ripped out of the ground had dried out. Better luck next year. The two companion plants were doing great together though before that happened. The corn poking out through the punpkin foliage looked awesome. All the plants surrounding that bed are eastern natives. All but 3 are locally native.
Attached Thumbnails
Companion planting-img_5569.jpg  
Old 07-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

This is 'Dragon Tongue' beans in the front and 'Black Aztec' then 'Dragon Tongue' then another row of 'Black Aztec' then a row of 'Little Marvel' peas that you can't see on the other side. It worked.... it worked well. I should have replanted some of the 'Little Marvel' because Thumpers got to it and reduced it to nubs before we could get the chicken wire up. Before that.... the 'Little Marvel' was going gangbusters.
Attached Thumbnails
Companion planting-img_5612.jpg  
Old 07-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #15

gardening tool

Companion plants Deter insects, host predatory insects, improve growth, flavor, add nutrients, loosen soil, reduce lighting, create living trellis etc...etc...

Combining these important companion plants with one or two of the following planting methods yield more produce.

Succession planting.... After harvesting something, you plant something in its place.
Inter-planting.... Different vegetables grown simultaneously with different growth rates.

An inter-planted, succession, Trial garden has been started here.... Succession-Interplanting vegetables

Old 07-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
dapjwy> "I thought about sharing what my garden looks like this year, but I'd be embarrassed to now." Don't be embarrassed!!! Post the photos so everyone can critique them. That's what I did and that's exactly how I avoided lots of mistakes. Anyone using raised beds already can point out at least some pitfalls. Get a bunch of folk commenting and you'll have a boatload of ideas you can use or discard. Going that route saved me a lot of headaches making common mistakes.
Good point.

I did start posting some, but only one loaded I'll add more when I have more time to devote to it (assuming I don't get that dreaded message again.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
This one's 'Amish Pie' pumpkin and 'Strawberry' popcorn. They're in a 10' x 10' raised bed. I lost most of the popcorn corn in that windstorm because.... I forgot I'd planted more of it in the back of the house.... I was too focused on saving the other varieties of corn and by the time I remembered.... the roots that were ripped out of the ground had dried out. Better luck next year. The two companion plants were doing great together though before that happened. The corn poking out through the punpkin foliage looked awesome. All the plants surrounding that bed are eastern natives. All but 3 are locally native.
It still looks great to me--but I can imagine how lush it would look with more of the corn sticking through. I like that combination (although mostly I'm imagining what it looked like).

What natives do you have there?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #17

You got me thinking... when should I start my fall garden plantings? I did peas last year and I'm guessing it is about that time again.

Any suggestions for fall plantings?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #18

I took some pictures today and looks like at least one was loaded successfully, if you see two pictures below, that means the second one was successfully loaded too (I'm still waiting on it).
Attached Thumbnails
Companion planting-dsc09529.jpg   Companion planting-dsc09528-d.jpg  
Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #19

The first picture is of my "herb garden" (although I threw a broccoli plant in with the herbs).

The other two--nevermind...only one loaded-- so, second picture is the aspargus growing in the remaining original plot. I had planted them there three years ago and, although I hope to move it to the new plot, I don't want to lose a year or so for it to recover before I can harvest it again. Hopefully, if I move it when it is dormant or going dormant, it should be fine. Ulturnately, I may move only one or two, and leave one to make sure I get some to harvest next year.

Hey, since this is the "companion planting" thread, I guess I should get back on track and ask what would be good to grow with aparagus?
Attached Thumbnails
Companion planting-dsc06625.jpg   Companion planting-021.jpg  
Old 07-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
You got me thinking... when should I start my fall garden plantings? I did peas last year and I'm guessing it is about that time again.

Any suggestions for fall plantings?
You are correct...It's about August first here.

Tags
companion, companion planting, companion plants, garden, garden bed, garden beds, gardening, gardens, grow, growing, inter-planting, interplanting, plant, planting, raised beds, vegetable, vegetable garden, vegetable gardening, veggies