Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default 15 Reasons Not to Buy Organic…. say whaaaaaaat>>>?

This caught my eye…. 1st thought was.... gimme a break.
http://shine.yahoo.com/event/financiallyfit/15-reasons-not-to-buy-organic-2514263/, “Can't afford to always buy organic? No problem. Turns out certain types of produce are better at fending off pesticides—15 kinds to be exact. Dubbed the “Clean 15” by the Environmental Working Group, these fruits and vegetables were selected based on their levels of pesticide contamination (the higher the ranking, the less contamination), which means you can buy organic where it makes the most impact—meat, milk and produce on the Dirty Dozen list—and stick to conventional produce elsewhere. Click through to learn why these 15 fruits and veggies are considered "clean," and to find a new way to prepare them.They list out these 15 fruits and veggies and state why they’re safer to buy; onions, sweet corn, pineapples, avocados, asparagus, sweet peas, mangoes, eggplant, cantaloupe, kiwi, cabbage, water melon, sweet potatoes, grapefruit, and mushrooms. Interesting article…. Worth the read if you want to buy organic but keep coming up short at the check out line. Here’s a side by side of the 15 that are testing lowest in pesticide residues up against the dirty dozen that it’s probably a good idea to try to buy organic if you can, http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
This caught my eye…. 1st thought was.... gimme a break.
http://shine.yahoo.com/event/financiallyfit/15-reasons-not-to-buy-organic-2514263/, “Can't afford to always buy organic? No problem. Turns out certain types of produce are better at fending off pesticides—15 kinds to be exact. Dubbed the “Clean 15” by the Environmental Working Group, these fruits and vegetables were selected based on their levels of pesticide contamination (the higher the ranking, the less contamination), which means you can buy organic where it makes the most impact—meat, milk and produce on the Dirty Dozen list—and stick to conventional produce elsewhere. Click through to learn why these 15 fruits and veggies are considered "clean," and to find a new way to prepare them.They list out these 15 fruits and veggies and state why they’re safer to buy; onions, sweet corn, pineapples, avocados, asparagus, sweet peas, mangoes, eggplant, cantaloupe, kiwi, cabbage, water melon, sweet potatoes, grapefruit, and mushrooms. Interesting article…. Worth the read if you want to buy organic but keep coming up short at the check out line. Here’s a side by side of the 15 that are testing lowest in pesticide residues up against the dirty dozen that it’s probably a good idea to try to buy organic if you can, http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/.
I've never understood why growers spray blueberries. I've been growing them for years and never have I had a problem with insects. Indeed, I never have to even fertilize them, and they turn out to be organic because they've been totally wildly raised. And I've grown many cultivars, too. But, there they are on the dirty dozen list!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I'm thinking it's not a problem with pesticides sprayed on blueberries so much as the synthetic fertilizers commercial growers are probably using to lower pH. The minute they start tinkering with pH to increase yields.... my bet is they're throwing everything out of whack requiring more amendments.

Tags
buy, organic, organic…, reasons, whaaaaaaat>>>