Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default My permaculture endeavor

I had a busy week with planting and got some good plants into the ground. Beyond the three dwarf fruit trees, two apples and one pear, my order from Prairie Moon allowed me to plant 5 Penstemon digitalis, 3 Hypericum prolificum (Shrubby St John's Wort, 3 Ceanothus americanus (New Jersey Tea) 5 Thalictrum dioicum (Early Meadow Rue), 2 Quercus muhlenbergii (Chinquapin Oak), 1 Pycnanthemum virginianum (Mountain Mint), 1 Hypericum pyramidatum (Great St. John's Wort), and 1 Trillium grandiflorum (Large-flowered Trillium).

Many of these are part of an effort to attract both beneficial predatory insects and pollinators to the yard. I also ordered 3 huckleberry shrubs today as I've many blueberry bushes but no huckleberry. I look forward to trying their taste, and both are on Bill Cullina's list of the ten most important to wildlife plants on his list at NEWFS website.

Today was the best day of the season so far here, as it hit 71 degrees and was sunny till noontime when the remainder of the day clouded up. It's raining again as I type this, but that's probably a good thing after all of the planting.

Many birds of all sorts out there (saw a Cooper's in a tree in the yard), but my best charge was seeing my first garter snake of the season pass almost over my shoe. Signs of good things to come!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Rain is natures way of giving you a well deserved rest after you've helped her out so generously with a job well done.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Fox

That was a good post, Jack. I'm glad you had time to recall and jot down your accomplishment. With this break in the rain and the lengthening days, I have trouble putting down the weeder and trowel in time to do any journalling.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
That was a good post, Jack. I'm glad you had time to recall and jot down your accomplishment. With this break in the rain and the lengthening days, I have trouble putting down the weeder and trowel in time to do any journalling.
I was able to plant a couple of more fruit trees yesterday after work yesterday and now have five swarf fruit trees. I planted both a Burbank and a Santa Rosa dwarf plumb. Now my plan is to plant some of the swamp milkweeds I have ordered from Prairie Moon(order has not yet arrived) around them to attract the beneficial insects, especially wasps, to the area. I'm looking to see if these helpful insects can keep the fruit trees free of pests.

I'm also waiting on an order of native grasses from Prairie Moon, which will include Indian grass, little blue stem, big blue stem, and switch grass.

My aim is to get as much wildlife into the yard, including pollinating and beneficial insects, as possible, as they will help to fertilize the soil for me.
I have cages around all of the fruit trees I planted, though. Rabbits and deer would do them in if I didn't.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 05-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Default more plantings

I was able to get 10 additional blueberry shrubs and three blackberry plants into the ground this weekend. I mulched them and lowered the ph with granulated sulfur. Then I watered them with my dirty fish tank water, as it was time to change the water in my 90 gallon tank. The water was rich in organic waste and about a ph of 5.0. the low PH is needed as these are discus fish and require low ph to thrive.

Many shrubs here are in bloom, and the spicebush and shadbush and blueberries are amongst them. I don't see a lot of pollinators yet though. I hope it's because I'm not looking closely enough for them. There is a paucity of bumblebees, though. I'd see them. I hope that changes soon, as I have done all of the things to increase native pollinators.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 05-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
WG Operations, Facilitator

Jack, Wow! You are just the permaculture planting machine!!!

Your permaculture project sounds exciting and (yummy!)

Your pollinators will be very happy amongst the new native plants you have incorporated into your gardens.

I'm envious. We had snowflakes swirling down yesterday.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Great Horned Owl

Default Question on protecting black huckleberries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
Jack, Wow! You are just the permaculture planting machine!!!

Your permaculture project sounds exciting and (yummy!)

Your pollinators will be very happy amongst the new native plants you have incorporated into your gardens.

I'm envious. We had snowflakes swirling down yesterday.
Thanks, I'm having fun! Today I planted six black huckleberry shrubs, my first experience with this species ever. The are small and will not produce fruit this year, but I feel good about getting them into the ground. Each of these plantings is taking away from the lawn, this time the front yard, which has very little lawn left to it.

I'm starting vegetables from seed and most have broken the surface of the potting medium. As much of this will be a first year experiment, any result short of losing my shrubs is ok.

Should I protect the huckleberry shrubs from herbivores? Do rabbits eat these things??

Oracle at Delphi
Old 05-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Should I protect the huckleberry shrubs from herbivores? Do rabbits eat these things??
Just my gut feeling, not rabbits, but probably deer. Good luck!
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
Just my gut feeling, not rabbits, but probably deer. Good luck!
I put cages around all six of them. When I get my camera I'll be able to show the land of cages. Seems I have cages around everything here.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 05-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

The land of cages.
I'm pretty much sure you are not the first, to accumulate such beauty!
We have what is called junk week where just about anything you do not want gets tossed out to the curb for a once a year dump run.
I cruise yearly in search of old tomato cages, rolls of wire fencing, huge flower pots and round birdcages.
Once you pop off the top and bottom of the cage you end up with a nice 3' tall ring to slip over the newly planted.
It works out a lot easier than contorting wire mesh into shape. I too have had the pleasure of such a beauty.

The worst my yard ever looked was when a neighbors dog would not quit cutting through the floral beds.
I ran so much wire fencing around just one side of the beds, it appeared I set up snow fencing.
Boy oh boy was I glad to see THAT one finally trained.

We now have two new neighbors, two new pups, plus a new pup of my own.
They're already letting the two roam free together and here I sit in the middle of their visitation.
They've already chased off the pheasants, swans and geese. I won't be watching any nest building or young this year with those two snuffling around.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berries, blackberry, blueberry, burbank, edible gardens, edibles, endeavor, fish tank water, fruit trees, garden projects, permaculture, permaculture project, plum, pollinators, project, santa rosa, shadbuck, shrubs, spicefush, sulfur