Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Big Fat juicy WORM

Default Growing Roses Organically

Not a difficult thing to do. I've been growing roses organically for many years. And I've made a few converts on the way. Using compost and good sanitary practices is key to getting great blooms, hips and lots of them.

When chosing roses to grow, it's important to do a bit of planning and research. Chose ones that are disease resistant and do well in your area. Check with your local rose society for advice on the best varities to grow in your area. It's also a good way to get acquainted with other rose growers and a great source of advice, cuttings etc as well.

Roses are really not that difficult to grow if you plan ahead. I love the hybid teas but have gotten away from growing many, as they do require a great deal of care and time I'm no longer willing to spend. I prefer the rugosas, antiques and moss roses. That's just a matter of personal taste. Looking through the latest rose catalog requires an extra measure of self control, because I want em all! LOL There is no such thing as too many rose bushes!!
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
WG Guardian Spirit

Doccat, you gave me some good advice in another forum about using cornmeal around the base of bushes with black spot fungus. That really helped my pink cabbage rose bush.

It's definitely not difficult to grow roses organically as long as the roses are well adapted to the area. This homestead was abandoned for many years and all the roses here (antique cabbage roses and R. carolinensis, which I beleive is native to this area) were here and flourishing when we moved in. Get something that's suited to the area, and complete neglect won't even faze 'em! Even that pink bush must've just weathered the fungus on its own until I came along with my corn meal.

And then there's the multiflora rose. Nothing fazes that. Apparently, horses eat some of the new growth, so we're not completely buried, but I've still got fencerows covered and a section of barn in danger of being pulled down... On the bright side, it's full-bore organic , so I used the blooms for rosewater and oil, and I'm drying a ton of hips for tea.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Big Fat juicy WORM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, lovely! I love the rose hip tea. I'll have to see if I can locate some of my recipes for that.
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
growing, organically, roses