Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #21
Official Plant Nerd

Mostly we cut our lawn to "deadhead" them since we stopped using chemicals a long time ago. Any lawn mower escapees I try to get with my v tool. I never get them all and don't get all hung up missing some. Krigia biflora is a native that's threatened. I bought some seed from Prairie Moon and love that gem.
Attached Thumbnails
How to Kill Dandelions-img_1966.jpg  
Old 04-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #22
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
why not make dandelion wine for my white cooking wine?
I make wine, but have never tried any of the "blossom" wines. I guess it's the laziness showing, but as soon as I think "oooooh I should try that" I think of how many flowers I'll have to pick to make gallons of blooms. . . .

Will you let us know how it comes out?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #23
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Krigia biflora is a native that's threatened. I bought some seed from Prairie Moon and love that gem.

Cool. I didn't remember that it was threatened--I guess I did consider it rare, so that should have given me a clue. Glad you love it!

I'd love to get some local seed...but, as in another thread, I guess I'll have to decide just how strict I need to be. I prefer locally native, but, if after an exhastive search, I may have to weaken and get what I can.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #24
WG Staff

Default The Dandelion King

The Dandelion King
By Robert Wright
April 20, 2010, 8:39 pm

The Dandelion King - Opinionator Blog - NYTimes.com
excerpt from above:
Quote:
As Iíve told my neighbors, I feel bad about lowering the value of their property. I mean, it isnít my goal to have a front yard that, by standard reckoning, is unattractive. The unkept look of my lawn is just a byproduct of a conclusion I reached a few years ago: the war on weeds, though not unwinnable, isnít winnable at a morally acceptable cost.

I hope youíll agree with me. As the spring lawn-care season unfolds, Iíd like to enlist you in the war on the war on weeds...

Tags
dandelions, kill