Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Carbon

Default Help with bacterial wilt attacking cucumbers

Hi All,
Any tricks or tips against bacterial wilt attacking cucumbers? I lost all of my plants last year because I did not know what it was. Now I have the yellow traps to get the cucumber beetles that carry the disease - but am wondering whether there are any organic treatments against the disease itself?
Thanks much,
Annalee
Annalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I had the striped cucumber beetles on my pumpkins. They did a good number on them. The bacterial wilt goes hand in hand with the beetles. Which beetle did you have, Cucumber Beetles: Organic and Biorational Integrated Pest Management I found a tachinid fly and a soldier beetle that would do a number on the striped cucumber beetles chowing down on my plants but.... it wasn't worth my money so I started over the next year in a different location. That seemed to work. I am beneath the belly of an earthworm on organic gardening but.... want to learn myself so I can ditch chemicals.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
Fox

if you go to Amazon.com: Good Bug, Bad Bug: Who's Who, What They Do, and How to Manage Them Organically (All You Need to Know about the Insects in Your Garden) (9780976763192): Jessica Walliser: Books and use the "search inside" feature to search for cucumber beetle control (it's page 12), you can see what the author recommends. It's a good book.

Last edited by Cirsium; 07-31-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Repaired link
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

You little smarty pants!!! You know all the tricks of the trade. I've never seen that "search inside" feature and if I did it never connected with my brain what it was. That is my best tip of the day!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
WG Writer

<b>Bacterial Wilt (Cucumbers)</b>

Here's what Gardens Alive recommends: kaolin.

I also read that you can control beetles by planting an early catch crop to attract the beetles. Then spray the beetles so they don't attack your permanent crop.

You can also grow your permanent crop under insect netting, but you have to remove it to let in pollinators.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attacking, bacterial, bacterial wilt, beetle, beetles, cucumber, cucumber beetles, cucumber wilt, cucumbers, organic treatments, prevent cucumber wilt, wilt