Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
Too Wild To Garden

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. I will be building raised beds with layering of mulch and maneur.

I wonder about the netted frames over the beds though. We sometimes get high winds. Perhaps a frame with clear ridged plastic might hold up better cause I can nail everything down.

BooBoo your gardens are beautiful and have a very wild look to them.
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
WG Operations, Facilitator

Hi Arrow,
Yes, raised beds with LOTS of mulch have been very good to my gardens.

Floating row covers can be used with special clips which are specifically designed to clip the floating row cover fabric to the PVC frames. I've seen them for sale on the web and in the big box stores. I just used what I had on hand. Rocks. Lots of big rocks to hold the floating row cover in place.

Quote:
BooBoo your gardens are beautiful and have a very wild look to them.
Arrow, I'm giggling at your comment because my gardens are productive, but certainly not the tidiest looking gardens around that's for sure. So, I agree, it does look a bit "wild." Perhaps that is why the black bears join me so often while I'm gardening.

I tend make use of what I have on hand and can recycle. I only purchase items for gardening which can be reused many times.

I ordered the Floating Row Cover material from Johnny's Seed and purchased the PVC pipes at a local farm store.

Good luck with your cool weather gardening!!

BooBooBearBecky
Old 01-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
Unicellular Fungi

My seeds are started inside. Toward the end of the growing season I place my wire mesh cages over my plants.

I have two covered in sheet plastic. One wire mesh cages is covered with a used vinyl shower curtain. This extends my growing season by at least 3 weeks. It takes little time placing the covers over my plants at dusk and removing them in the morning. For days where a light frost is forecast, I will leave the covers over the plants.

Tags
make, soil, warmer