Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Organic Weed Control For Dandelions

Organic Weed Control For Dandelions

ScienceDaily (Sep. 9, 2009) — Spring and summer often find homeowners out in their yards, busily attempting to control the onslaught of dandelions in a quest for green, weed-free lawns. Dandelions, broadleaf perennial plants that have a questionable reputation as lawn wreckers, can make even the most patient gardener reach for chemical weed killers to control the onslaught of the ubiquitous weeds. Now, the answer to an environmentally responsible way to control dandelions could be right on the front lawn.

Organic Weed Control For Dandelions
excerpts from above:
Quote:
Previous research indicated that mulched maple leaves resulted in fewer dandelions when incorporated into established turfgrass, but the leaves used in that research may have contained herbicide residues. These findings triggered a subsequent study designed to compare the effects of mulched leaves from herbicide-free maple and oak species on established turfgrass as an organic broadleaf weed control method, according to Alexander R. Kowalewski, lead author of a study published in HortTechnology.
Quote:
Mulch applications were made in fall and data collected beginning in spring on Kentucky bluegrass spring green-up and common dandelion plant counts. The data showed that the high application rate, regardless of tree genus or species, resulted in the highest green-up ratings. Common dandelion plant counts after one and two mulch applications at the high rate showed that up to 80% and 53% reduction was achieved, respectively.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Carbon

Default I love dandelions

Dang it all, didn't want to disagree so soon but........ I love dandelions, oh not the flower, the puffballs of seed. I love to blow and scatter the seeds everywhere. So cool even after 47 years (love this frog)

Dandelions are so good for so many things and I will not go into that as you can google it and they are popular....

A few uses I did not know of was planting it or letting it go wild around fruit trees. It gives off a gas that makes the fruit ripen. Apple trees seem to love dandelions.....

http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=834&bhcd2=1255108820
an article about companion gardening that's interesting......
snippet: Dandelions grown near tomatoes provided protective against fusarium, a nasty wilt that strikes tomatoes grown in the same soil year after year. The dandelion roots were found to produce an acid that essentially ‘starved’ the disease of iron, a nutrient necessary for it to do its dirty work.

I do not see how anyone could eat dandelion as I've tried eating it from just picking a leaf and eating it and it was awful and very bitter and green tasting. Needless to say, I did not like it. And I tried picking a flower and just eating the yellow part like I've read about as the green part is suppose to be bitter and found.... the yellow part was not really too good either although it was not bitter at all. The flowers are edible if I'm starving.

Vinegar will get rid of dandelions. And this is a good article on using vinegar to get rid of weeds. Vinegar As Natural Weed Killer | Uses for Vinegar

Also, if you cover the spot you want to kill whatever in with some black plastic and keep it there for a while, it will kill anything under it. You have to check it daily and keep on top of it. Use a tarp as it doesn't deteriorate as fast as black plastic garbage bags do. Depending on the species you might have to keep the area covered for a couple years.

I have been researching natural ways to get rid of an obnoxious, invasive grass that even the deer won't eat. It has been getting roundup on it for a few years now as that is the only way the state will stay off my back about it and I don't live anywhere near the property. I do not like using roundup on my property. One of the neighbors sprays it faithfully. It's only on a small area so...... Keeps the peace too...... I inherited the property and my Dad already had this set up going with the old man next door. It isn't dead yet.

Organically, the only way to get rid of any weeds is to dig it up or smother it I would think. Vinegar might be considered organic if you use an organic vinegar. The regular white vinegar you buy in the stores is not organic material but what most people use to kill their weeds with and pickle stuff with. Think pickled dandelions

If I were going to be mulching it, I would try black walnut mulch. Black walnut trees put out a chemical that causes most plants to not grow by it. Although you may find that other things won't grow where you mulched with black walnuts too.

I find living with dandelions is not that bad. I hate my hubby to cut the grass and he thinks I'm bonkers. Causes mice he says. And because he cuts my grass I don't have so many puffballs to blow on.

Dandelions take me back to wearing flowers in my hair when I was a kid. This is a blog site and this lady has a few great articles on what you can do with dandelions. I like it. Small place but lots of *organic* old time gardening info... Great place for beginners too....
gardening and hobby farming for the environment, organic, nature, creation, and health, by traute klein, biogardener - Gardening, Home & Garden, Organic Gardening
sybdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I think dandelions are juglone tolerant. They don't seem to be bothered much by my black walnuts. Figures doesn't it. Blowing on puffballs, eh??? We do that too. We're trying to spread the spores so we have more puffballs.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Carbon

me too I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy
sybdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
Grub

Hanh mitakuyapi / hello my relatives. Some time back I remember reading that the leaves of silvery maples are very toxic to horses, so I thought they might be useful to mulch something I didn't want growing wherever & tried it. It worked. (I love dandelions myself.. the Noxious Weed guy & I have this friendly antagonism going.. he wants them gone.. I keep leavin' 'em. I live in the country. So far, I'm winning. Let's hold that thought.. :;~D:
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
WG Writer

If dandelions in your lawn is your invasive of choice, I would say you need more content in your life!

And . . . they are good to eat!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Lungwort

Dandelion greens contain more iron than spinach!

Dandelions will proliferate in a lawn that is sparse or not very healthy. I'm suspecting that the research above proves that adding organic matter to the grass in the form of chopped leaves improves the health of the soil, which helps the grass, which then outcompetes the dandelions.
THBFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #8
Salamander

Here's the method I'd like to use to get rid of dandelions in my yard: buy a bearded dragon or uromastyx. Better yet, buy one of each! They are both reputed to love dandelion greens. So every morning I'd be in the yard picking dandelion greens for my critter's breakfasts.

Several years ago I purchased two sundew plants to get rid of fungus gnats in my kitchen windowsill garden. The gnats promptly began breeding in the sundew potting medium (ha!) but as an excuse to purchase two new and very interesting plants, it was a great success.

I rather like dandelions. They have great personalities. They're always cheerful, deal with whatever nature throws them, and bloom where they're planted.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:43 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

I have a dragon for dandelions. Here it is, Weed Dragon Propane Torch Kit - All Natural Chemical Free Weed Control & More. The perfect weed burner for home and garden.. It doesn't work. They come back. These v weeders work, Amazon.com: Weeder Hand Promo Series V Poi: Home Improvement.

Last edited by Cirsium; 07-31-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Repaired links
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control, dandelions, organic, weed