Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Top 10 Reasons to Eat Organic, Even if it Isn't More Nutritious

Top 10 Reasons to Eat Organic, Even if it Isn't More Nutritious
Conventional farming comes with a variety of risk.
Top 10 Benefits of Eating Organic

1. Waterways aren't contaminated by chemical run-off from farms.
  2. Pesticide-related health risks to farm workers (and anyone living in the area) are eliminated.
  3. You will dramatically reduce the amount of pesticide residue you ingest on a daily basis. Pesticides ingested by pregnant women may be linked to birth defects and health issues.
  4. Biodiversity is increased with the use of buffer crops, and by avoiding killing or harming insects and other wildlife that is not a threat to crops.
  5. Pesticides are responsible for a staggering amount of greenhouse gas emissions.
  6. You can avoid eating any genetically modified foods.
  7. Reduced reliance on chemical and agri-engineering corporations is good for farmers.
  8. Organic farming is healthier for the soil.
  9. Organic dairy cows are not injected with milk-boosting hormones such as recombinant bovine somatotrophin (rBST)—which may increase insulin levels in humans.
  10. Organics taste better. It's just my humble opinion, but I've noticed a difference in the taste of strawberries, peaches, grapes and leafy greens, so if you're still skeptical, I dare you to put your faith in conventionally grown foods to the test.
Top 10 Reasons to Eat Organic, Even if it Isn't More Nutritious : Planet Green
Old 08-20-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
WG Facilitator

Just so you'll know - after reading your 10 Small Steps to Save the Planet - I will be reading every list you post from now one with an eyebrow cocked and a bit of skepticism. This one passes.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
WG Writer

Plus. Organic growers care enough about their food to go to the extra trouble to make it organic. You can't say that about a big time monocrop food pusher.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
WG Facilitator

Dad gave me some of his special shallots this week. They are very fragrant, not at all like the ones in the grocery store that smell like grass. He reminded me that when I plant them I not only have to cut the tops, but I have to trim the roots a little too. I was special enough to get his good stuff, but I have to treat them right!
Old 08-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Lungwort

No. 3 alone was reason enough for me. At least for the EWG "dirty dozen" list.

It just seems counterintuitive to eat stuff that might contain substances designed to poison other organisms. Some of these pesticides and their residue just don't wash off. EWG tests for this.
Xena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Too Wild To Garden

Thanks for the good list!

I'm still skeptical of the report that came out saying that organic foods aren't any more nutritional than conventially-grown.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
Lungwort

George Mateljan, one of my new favorite people, had this to say about that:

"Last week you may have seen the headline, "Organic food is not healthier, study finds." According to the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine organically grown food is no more nutritious than conventionally grown food when it comes to the amount of certain important nutrients. The review recently published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has, not surprisingly, drawn strong reactions of disagreement from U.S.-based food researchers.
Of the 55 studies that were included in the analysis, researchers compared only 11 nutrients/substances. In 8 of the 11 they found no difference between the two growing methods and from this concluded that there is no evidence to support selecting organic foods to increase specific nutrient intake!
This study and its conclusions seem very misleading given the analysis of such a limited number of nutrients and the results of the comparisons that were made. Moreover, safety factors such as harmful pesticide residues in fruits and vegetables and hormone and antibiotic residues in animal products—oftentimes the primary reasons for selecting organic foods—were neither addressed nor considered.
Ronnie Cummins, national director of the Organic Consumers' Association stated, "Our stand is that it is beyond scientific doubt that organic foods are higher in vitamins and important trace minerals and there are far fewer toxic residues in them. ... And that's the reason that millions of American consumers are paying a premium price for organic production." I am in full agreement with Mr. Cummins."

In his Aug. 3 newsletter. Sorry, I was unable to find the link. The web site is whfoods.org.
Xena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
WG Facilitator

I ignore more studies than I quote. There are so many things that can make a study not worth my time considering it.

Who paid for it? What were they hoping to find? What are the morals of the researchers - it's usually fairly simple to structure a study so that you get the results you want, even with cheating. And then there's the fact that they're unsupervised and can get away with manipulating the results.

What did they grow the plants in? If they used plain dirt in both, that seems to be fair but in reality, one gets fertilizer added whereas an organic gardener would be adding compost. And fish emulsion or compost tea. Did they really compare how commercial produce is grown to the way that well-grown organic produce is grown? Or did they simply use commercial methods of growing without the fertilizers and herbicides/pesticides?

They only tested 11 nutrients and DID find a difference in 3, but glossed it over and instead presented it as "no evidence". What kind of math is that? More than 25% is "no evidence"?

Oh, sorry - rereading it again I find they didn't do a study at all. They kept their lazy keesters in their chair and "analyzed" 55 other studies. Studies that were presumably not all done in the same way for the same reason.

Anyway - I guess this qualifies for my daily rant - Isn't getting superior-tasting, chemical-free produce good enough?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Administrator

Organic food not healthier, study finds | Science | Reuters

The original abstract

Nutritional quality of organic foods: a systematic review -- Dangour et al., 10.3945/ajcn.2009.28041 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Quote:
In case you missed it, the study was paid for by the FSA but carried out by Dr Alan Dangour and colleagues at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
Organisations accuse UK regulator of industry bias

Alan Dangour
Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
WG Facilitator

The 3 "nutrients" that were not the same - nitrogen, phosphorus and titratable acidity. Phosphorus is put in vitamins, so it must be desirable. Is nitrogen a nutrient for us? What does titratable acidity do for me?

I wonder what the other 8 were.

If they had done a real study and grown the same variety of different foods under the best of commercial methods and the best of organic, and then tested for real nutrients, I'd be interested in hearing the results.

Going through 162 of other people's studies and picking out 55 that will give you the results you want is not real science.

Tags
eat, nutritious, organic, reasons, top